Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

I just grabbed a cancelled name

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am the registrant of corps-diplomatique.net. Seeing that corps-diplomatique.com was due to expire I tried to catch the name as it dropped.
Unfortunately someone beat me to it.

Then I receive this spam:
(E-mail from whois of course)
02-Nov-2005 23:36
Limited Time Offer...!!!
The domain name corps-diplomatique.com is for sale exclusively by webnamesolution.com. Hurry and take advantage of this limited time special offer. Reg. price $199.95 USD, for a limited time only $99.95 USD.
Domain Name: corps-diplomatique.com
Price: $99.95 USD
To purchase this domain and take advantage of this Special Offer click on the link below:
WWW.WEBNAMESOLUTION.COM/PURCHASE
Thank you for your interest.
[email protected]
I decided to ignore this since I don't want to encourage spam and I don't want to spend more than reg fee for that domain anyway.
I kept monitoring the domain status and tonight - bingo - they cancelled the name. Now it's mine :evil:

It's not the first time this scenario happens. Proof once again that some people are abusing the registrar cancel/refund policy. They catch expired names, test them for traffic and then make up their mind whether to keep or cancel.
So if you are trying to catch a dropping name but get beat by a drop registrar keep monitoring the name for at least a week. Sometimes names are abandoned and you might still recover them.

BTW the name is still offered for sale on their site :p

Domain Days 2024

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I received one recently the same way. Although I didn't receive a spam email. I just decided to check the availability a week later and it was available.

Limit$

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow you guys got kind of lucky, Good luck NameLEgend (Joe)

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sdsinc said:
I am the registrant of corps-diplomatique.net. Seeing that corps-diplomatique.com was due to expire I tried to catch the name as it dropped.
Unfortunately someone beat me to it.

Then I receive this spam:
(E-mail from whois of course)
02-Nov-2005 23:36

I decided to ignore this since I don't want to encourage spam and I don't want to spend more than reg fee for that domain anyway.
I kept monitoring the domain status and tonight - bingo - they cancelled the name. Now it's mine :evil:

It's not the first time this scenario happens. Proof once again that some people are abusing the registrar cancel/refund policy. They catch expired names, test them for traffic and then make up their mind whether to keep or cancel.
So if you are trying to catch a dropping name but get beat by a drop registrar keep monitoring the name for at least a week. Sometimes names are abandoned and you might still recover them.

BTW the name is still offered for sale on their site :p

I believe it is the registrar's that are doing this. To my knowledge, most registrar's do not have a refund policy. The registrant can cancel the name, but without refund.

gdubz

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what registrar where you using?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom