Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

I just posted this on another board

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thought some of you all may find this interesting and wish to comment ..

Originally posted by snoopy
you call germany a small country

We all know that some of the country codes are very well used, and likely the standard in many countries - that doesn't translate into value for every new extension which comes along though.

The eating away effect doesn't really hold any validity, unless you have statistics suggesting strong growth in these .cc tlds, they have co-existed with the global exts for many years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bidawinner

You asked for it..

2 years ago .DE had 1.7 million domains registered..today ! nearly 6 million !

This trend is widespread across the board in ccTLDs
http://www.volnet.org/reports/english/appa.html

your comparison
http://www.domainworldwide.com/ (says it is updated but it's actualy weeks old)

This is 8 months old and showing recognitionof this trend of the surge in ccTLDs..

http://ipc.songbird.com/members-arc...MIP_article.pdf

whats interesting is seeing countries emerge that werent even considered 2 years ago..

This is where .coms erosion is coming from...

I have stated before, this is less about the deterioration of .com and it falling back to a more realistic point of saturation than pointing out the missed opportunities in ccTLDs because everyonne is in denial..

I believe the largest opportunity is .US ..it should easily surpass 8 -10 million registrations in 3-5 years... laugh if you must ..but let me direct you back to .DE (almost 1/4 the size of USA) and it added nealy 3 million domains in 2 years. !

Domain Days 2024

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Isn't Germany now just a bit of Europe, after all they don't have their own money any more.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Watch out DomainPairs!
Your turn is coming! :)

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DomainPairs
Isn't Germany now just a bit of Europe, after all they don't have their own money any more.

.DE will remain strong because even with the euro being the defacto currency, .DE gives the germans their own identity..

If you are a company outside of Germany wanting to market inside Germany a .DE address will open up those doors...much more than a .com will..

same for .US and everywhere else in the World.. the reason is this..

hundreds of millions, 1 billion people surfing looking for products.

you live in Germany and have found a great new computer you want at 2 addresses XYZ.DE and XYZ.COM ...same price same everything... my money says you will buy at the local address...

and for THAT reason "foreign" Company's purchase ccTLDS .. the "perception" that you are a trusted local company...

and the reason local Company's buy their own countries ccTLDs ..
To show that they ARE a trusted local company..

Look at that that Germany with 6 million registrations.. thats very impressive ina country of"only" 80 million people..

.US turn is next ..it's happening now ....

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can never understand why there are some countries where the locals snub their own country code domain in favor of catching "Dot-Com-Itis" with the rest of the world... India seems to be the worst example; hardly anyone uses the .in domain. Local branches of worldwide companies and organizations, which use the proper country codes in most other places, get domains like FooCorpIndia.com or FooCharityIndia.org instead of .in domains.

China tends to be that way too, though now that .cn is being run by the same company as .us it will be marketed more aggressively and may catch on. Even Canada, which uses .ca a good deal, all too often goes for .com instead.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You'll enjoy this :

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,46339,00.html

Here is India's main problem..

they use the stupid sub-domains and try and regualate activities to each of those subs..

you see they have broken up .IN into ten subdomains

ONLY ISPs can use .IN !

http://domain.ncst.ernet.in/about.php

This was the same typical nonsense that .us was doing..but they (US)deregulated it fortunently and .US is seeing the a resurngence of interest and registrations...

The Countries you see that registratins are not coming in are either have unrealistic regulations or unrealistic pricing.

What I have found is that those regulations are being dropped and Country TLDs are being more competetive in their pricing..

Free Market rules ..those that down play by those rules are the ones hurting..

China will benefit immmensly as they move closer to a more free market style..

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No doubt .de is first choice for german businesses.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't knock .co.uk - I think it's great for plumbers and shops. The internet is worldwide though so why not try to use an international domain name.

On the £ sterling question - I think that any one that agrees to destroying it, and also to giving away the rights to administer the laws and standards of their country is commiting treason. Unfortunately there are many these days that have no pride and no loyalty to their country and are prepared to commit this treason.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I liked my drachmas. :(
I also like £. (Especially the 1 pound coin!) They remind me my college years! :)
I guess some things you just can't avoid.

syed

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
bidawinner said:
.DE will remain strong because even with the euro being the defacto currency, .DE gives the germans their own identity..

If you are a company outside of Germany wanting to market inside Germany a .DE address will open up those doors...much more than a .com will..

same for .US and everywhere else in the World.. the reason is this..

hundreds of millions, 1 billion people surfing looking for products.

you live in Germany and have found a great new computer you want at 2 addresses XYZ.DE and XYZ.COM ...same price same everything... my money says you will buy at the local address...

and for THAT reason "foreign" Company's purchase ccTLDS .. the "perception" that you are a trusted local company...

and the reason local Company's buy their own countries ccTLDs ..
To show that they ARE a trusted local company..

Look at that that Germany with 6 million registrations.. thats very impressive ina country of"only" 80 million people..

.US turn is next ..it's happening now ....

You are missing an important point. I have rarely noticed a .de or even .us to top search engines for that matter. So, the situation that you showed - a buyer coming across both the .com and .de is less likely as the .com has more chances of showing up. But yes, you are right when you say that most people would be more comfortable and feel more at home visiting ".mycountry" extensions.

Syed

M

mole

syed said:
You are missing an important point. I have rarely noticed a .de or even .us to top search engines for that matter. So, the situation that you showed - a buyer coming across both the .com and .de is less likely as the .com has more chances of showing up.

Did you search in German?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The "Similar Threads" thingy (at the very bottom of this page) is sometimes "misleading" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom