Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

i* names

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know e* is a pretty strong prefix, but what is the consensus on i* names?

How do they compare to e* names do you think?

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
e's and i's are a thing of the past. 99% of them are worthless now.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depends, ilove, iwant, ibet, iplay, ineed , iwin.... are all very good domains IMO, some are better than "e" names.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good point yesonline.... :)

jh3, I hardly think e" names are worthless.... there are still many many companys using e* names.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
waste your money, I don't care, but in a year you will let them all expire.

boychik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by yesonline
Depends, ilove, iwant, ibet, iplay, ineed , iwin.... are all very good domains IMO, some are better than "e" names.

Yes, but your examples have real world meaning, as in "I" (pronoun) and I would prefer them over elove, ebet, eneed, ewin.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its still worth grabbing strong "e" and "i" doms. i personally think "i" is stronger.

iHost.com
iPay.com
iNames.com
iTravel.com

stuff like that is worth huge money.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are does 'e' for electronic(s) or 'i' for internet make sense for use with the name. Generally, if it is more than one word associated with the e or the i or if the term is a plural, my feeling is that it is worthless or close to it but there are likely exceptions. Another question is how popular is the name that the e or the i is associated with. eArt and iart are likely of significant value due to the the popularity of the term 'art'. eRadio is a decent term as the term radio is very p[opular and e (or i) make sense with this name. While I havent checked, eGlass or eFew (that is available right now as of today for 'e-fans'!) don't seem like great candidates for e's or i's. In a few cases 'e-' and, possibly, 'i-' are truly valuable. Who here would turn down a Snap for 'e-Commerce.COM' if it was expiring?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
For the most part, e and i was a fad that died with the 90s.

There are a few that might be worth it, but not very many.

-Bob

quicksite

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know e* is a pretty strong prefix, but what is the consensus on i* names? How do they compare to e* names do you think?

FLASHBACK 2003: People Magazine's "WHERE ARE THEY NOW" feature...
Today's episode features The Fonz, Danny Bonnaducci, Susan Dey, and.... SPIDER !

e's and i's are a thing of the past. 99% of them are worthless now.

waste your money, I don't care, but in a year you will let them all expire.

Just like Condi Rice said "Nobody could ever have predicted flying jet planes.......", "nobody could have predicted" there would ever be further Apple products after the iMac (1998) and iPod (2001), and iTunes (2001), and iLife (2003).....

Thus here is just a sampling of the string of iLosers that followed: iSight (2004), iPhone (2007), iPod Touch (2008), iPad (2010), so, I pity the loser who followed SPIDER's advice and dumped iCloud -- unless of course that was the 1% name he knew back then was the one destined to be sold for a couple of hundred dollars.

For the most part, e and i was a fad that died with the 90s.

There are a few that might be worth it, but not very many.

-Bob

The reason I even raise the subject is because I have been seeing the opposite effect going on right now with respect to the 3D domain craze. Ultra-definitive statements by people in domaining claiming 3D* names are the goldmine. 3Dphones, 3Dlaptops, 3Dwebsites, 3Dforums, 3Dasparagus.... I just think that even though the domain biz is largely speculative by nature, there are times when hyperbole is really massively 3Dhyperbole. ... And now back to regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
depending on the name... sometimes they work sometimes they don't, but in general I wouldn't ignore them. Brandable at the very least. :yo:

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont recommend buying them especially if you are going to pay big money for them

however you can register names with i or e for a reg fee as an alternative and build your site on them

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think there are some valid i and e domains but the majority aren't worth blowing tons of money on.

As has been mentioned this trend was bigger in the past. Apple is continuing with the i trend so we'll see.

Any new technology or device they throw an i in front of.

Skinny

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i, e, depends on what comes after it and if it has real world applications.

Prefixes carry some significance but the load is carried by the word after the prefix.

m can also be pretty stout, especially when the m is NOT implied mobile.

H

H2FC

The 'i' meaning internet is much stronger than whatever the 'e' means. Many single word names, including almost any name or company that does business on the internet can benefit from its 'i' name. How much did iCloud recently sell for? I think it was a huge amount.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How much did iCloud recently sell for? I think it was a huge amount.
$4.5 mil. But that is different, perhaps. It was already being used by a swedish company offering cloud services. That was the online services name. The company had branded itself that way and would most likely take a huge hit in rebranding, which they did as CloudMe.com.

Most likely, Apple had to pay for the rights of usage as well.

quicksite

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$4.5 mil. But that is different, perhaps. It was already being used by a swedish company offering cloud services. That was the online services name. The company had branded itself that way and would most likely take a huge hit in rebranding, which they did as CloudMe.com.

Most likely, Apple had to pay for the rights of usage as well.

Just to be clear, I was being a bit facetious in re-opening this thread from 2003!! --- it just happened to catch my eye as I was searching for a name here at DNforum. I agree with the premise of al the early predictors, and they basically said "in 99% of the cases" --- and iCloud, yes, an expensive acquisition for a thriving service actually using the name, was an aberration from the norm.

But I was also using my comment as a cautionary tale against hyperbolic prognosticating --- the kind I have been seeing, for example, at another website "The Domains" (Most wanted domains" -- where they are gah-gah to the 3rd degree about all 3D and holo names. I think many many many of them are purely nuts in their rationales. And have made sound arguments to back up my statements. But over there it's all pixie dust and glitter and raining clouds of gold as 3D takes off and everyone cashes out as millionaires.

I think a little modesty is in order.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a little modesty is in order.
3D and cloud names in general.

as for i and e, nothing has changed. It is good or it is not. It gets traffic or it does not. It is marketable or it is not.

As with every thing, it boils down to someone wanting it more than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom