Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I need some negotiating advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jondoe0069

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a ccTLD domain that is a dictionary word, but also the name of a chain of stores owned by large corporation in the country the ccTLD relates to.

I was emailed directly by someone with an email address from the company's main website (which lists all their businesses) asking if I would sell the domain. I told them I was planning to develop a site around the dictionary keyword that makes up the domain- but I would sell it if the price was right. I just responded so I have not yet heard back.

I'm not even sure if they're even interested in the .com, but it is for sale on Afternic for $200,000+ with a minimum bid of just under 1,000.

I want to maximize the price, but don't want to push the buyer to get the .com instead. I'm not sure if/ how much they will offer, but how aggresive should I be?

Any guidance would be appreciated. If you need more details, please PM. Thanks in advance for any advice!

domainplus

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Money in the Pocket is better then a dream in the mind...

Ask them to make an offer and 1.5 times what they have offered...they will usually take it...Unless of course they make a very low offer politely decline and say you had rather develop then sell...

jondoe0069

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! I totally agree. I would much rather have the $ in my pocket than to walk away from a sale because the amount was not enough. I've negotiated sales of domains before. I'm just mostly curious if I should be a little more aggresive knowing the financial position of the buyer. Usually I just get random offers on Sedo for names and I don't know whether it's a reseller or end user and I don't know how much money they have.

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd just determine a price in your mind and stick to it, leaning toward the high side. Tell them that you've got a business plan drawn up for it and are already developing it, and that it will take a generous compensatory offer for you to abandon those plans. Wait for them to make an offer and counter it with whatever the number was that you had earlier decided on, even if it's 10 times as much. Then with a little luck, when any negotiations are done, you wind up somewhere in the middle.

jondoe0069

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I did some research and this company made $260,000,000 US in 2005. The name is very generic, but it is the plural of their parent company's business name and the exact name of one of their main retail businesses. The extension is .in and I also own the .co.in. Their business is strictly in India as far as I can tell.

What would be a good price to ask, assuming their initial offer will be somewhat low?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check dnjournal for .in and .co.in sales history to get an idea of a price range. If you can show them examples of previous .in sales in the same ballpark, it might help your case. Might also be someone here who has a .in sales list.

Poker.in sold for $60,000 in 2007

Webcam.in for $18,299 in 2007

Looks like most reported .in sales have been under 10k

when did you buy this domain? was it a fresh reg?

Eraser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If it's an Indian company, then they may not pay much. So if you want to sell your domain, keep your asking price low.

jondoe0069

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was a hand reg. last year, but the email came from the parent company of the company which the domain is the business name (generic term) of. They are prompt in their replies, so I know they're highly interested. They also have a lot of money, but how much they are willing to spend on this domain could be anything...

domainplus

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's an Indian company, then they may not pay much. So if you want to sell your domain, keep your asking price low.

That is incorrect...

Infact an indian company will pay more then anyone else in the world if it is an exact name...I had suggest telling them in the most polite manner that there is a definate business plan drawn up for that domain.. You will get a good offer if your answer is convincing . .

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
2000$ and spend it on renewing, buying other in's

they wont spend much as saw lots companies under .org.in, net.in - too many choices

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too greedy, I hope your keeping track of the INDRP decisions?

It might even be a ploy, specially if it came from the company direct.

Be careful, better safe than sorry.

jondoe0069

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OOPS! Didn't mean to send this by PM MediaWizard... I'm a little intoxicated.

A ploy? To see if the name is for sale so they can say I'm squatting?

I was planning to develop as many of my dictionary .in's as possible this summer to shoot for ad revenue with all the good keywords I have. That's why I told them it wasn't for sale unless they offered a price I couldn't refuse.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Develop it then, even a 5 pager will be better.

Indian companies are notorious short changers, specially if they feel you are squatting on their tm.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom