Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I need to transfer a domain to my host but the owner won't respond to me

mjemedia

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not entirely sure about how to resolve this issue. Basically, I have redeveloped a website for a local company whose domain name was registered by and to the original web designer. The domain itself is registered to the designer's home address it seems, and the company themseleves have had no luck contacting her, and I am unable to get a response either. I initiated the transfer from her registrar to mine, but until I get a response from this girl the domain remains with her, and I need to get the new site launched and pointed at the domain asap.

My question is, how can I go about getting this domain transferred? Although the domain isn't technically owned by anyone in the company itself, the domain is still the company name and has their original site attached to it. But if the existing designer / owner of the domain will not engage in contact with either me nor the company, I am at a loss and I can see no way of getting access to this domain name.

Does anyone know the best way to approach this? Is there somewhere i can go to try and get help regarding this? After all, it's quite possible that the girl has changed her email or is deliberately ignoring contact as she perhaps doesn't want to release the domain to another developer...?

Thanks in advance
Michael

Domain summit 2024

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This happens again and again and again. NEVER let the developer take control of your domain name or register it on your behalf. If you are a developer then please advise your clients to take control themselves instead of transferring the name to you. Its just bad bad service and borderline extortion.

You have no recourse. She is the legitimate owner and unless your company has a solid TM that matches the name then you are out S of luck.

Your only option, if she has gone non responsive, is to talk with your clients about the value of the name and if they can rebrand. It that is not possible then you have to try and buy it from her.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My question is, how can I go about getting this domain transferred? Although the domain isn't technically owned by anyone in the company itself, the domain is still the company name and has their original site attached to it. But if the existing designer / owner of the domain will not engage in contact with either me nor the company, I am at a loss and I can see no way of getting access to this domain name.

It might be a long shot but I got a domain back successfully for a customer in this exact same situation. Get a hold of someone at the domain company via support. Explain the situation and ask them to work with you. Keep requesting a higher up until someone is willing to working with you. Gather all the correct paperwork to prove your case beforehand. They may or may not work with you but I'd try different people.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If a TM is involved, you can go to WIPO, but if not, try contacting the current owner. You could also try visiting her if you know where she lives if it is worth the efforts. In the meantime, you may want to build the site on a temp domain name.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators