Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

I own the .com they own the .net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own Insurance[MajorCityName].com and a company owns Insurance[MajorCityName].net (fully developed).

Am I going to have a problem if I approach them to sell them my name? It is quite generic, but considering some of the cases I have been reading as of late, you never know.

Thank you in advanced for any and all suggestions/help.

-Mike C.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd wait patiently to see if they make you an offer. They'll realise sooner or later that they will need the .com.

Plus, by them conacting you, you'll be able to demand a higher sale price.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd wait patiently to see if they make you an offer. They'll realise sooner or later that they will need the .com.

Plus, by them conacting you, you'll be able to demand a higher sale price.

Good point. Thank you for the suggestions.

I actually think they use to own the .com, not entirely sure though.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL, brain fart. Yeah, it was owned by the same company. Looks like they have been slacking or just didn't want these anymore (NP, I'll take the $19 CPC)... I picked up 6 others, very similar and they were all owned by the same company.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd wait for them to contact you.

This has happened to me before, I picked up a name owned by a dentist in one extension, and was apparently dependent on it to the point that he had it printed on the sign outside of his practice.

He *****ed and moaned about how it was "his name", and the unfortunate ending is that he went to the expense of having the sign changed rather than to pay the $300 I was asking for the name.

And guess what? It still receives traffic. And the Sedo offer page gets consistent views. I don't think this is the last I'll hear from the guy.

I would consider this to be the same case with this insurance outfit. Your coming to them might seem your acquisition of the domain seem perhaps malicious.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I am going to go directly to them, but I am going to start contacting end-users in the city. There is actually three cities in the US with this name, one just happens to be the in the top 100 of the most populated cities in the United States. If this company doesn't come, I am sure others will... I haven't owned it for more than 24 hours...

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I am going to go directly to them, but I am going to start contacting end-users in the city. There is actually three cities in the US with this name, one just happens to be the in the top 100 of the most populated cities in the United States. If this company doesn't come, I am sure others will... I haven't owned it for more than 24 hours...

keep in mind that the other company likely dropped it for a reason... not saying the name isn't worth anything but how often do people actually put the "insurance" before the "place" when they talk/think/type?
Not too often. This is one of those types of names that isn't truly natural... it is a close cousin to the real thing, but a bit of a red headed step child...

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
keep in mind that the other company likely dropped it for a reason... not saying the name isn't worth anything but how often do people actually put the "insurance" before the "place" when they talk/think/type?
Not too often. This is one of those types of names that isn't truly natural... it is a close cousin to the real thing, but a bit of a red headed step child...

Lol, I understand that completely. It is just the next best thing in .com, but considering the city, it was worth the purchase. The CPC is great @ $19

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about figuring out what keywords they are showing up under on the search engines and target those?

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How about figuring out what keywords they are showing up under on the search engines and target those?

Yeah, I started emailing some of the companies that rank the best for this phrase last night. Hopefully I will get some responds early this week.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I mean making the website rank in the search engine above theirs. More and more companies are paying attention to their ranks as they learn the benefits of having a high rank. Couldn't hurt to try.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

and grab their attention that way.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I mean making the website rank in the search engine above theirs. More and more companies are paying attention to their ranks as they learn the benefits of having a high rank. Couldn't hurt to try.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

and grab their attention that way.

Lol, whoops. I have actually thought about that, the CPC is attractive enough, but I don't have much time considering other projects I am working on.

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

I am actually thinking about setting up a mini site with Protrada for the domains. I have already used up all my free credits, but I will most likely buy more if after my trial I decide its completely worth it, so far it looks like it.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or maybe an Adsense ad for Insurance [MajorCityName] as an alternative to the slower SEO efforts? Might be a more subtle way to sell versus outright contact is where I'm going with this (since you expressed concern about that)

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or maybe an Adsense ad for Insurance [MajorCityName] as an alternative to the slower SEO efforts? Might be a more subtle way to sell versus outright contact is where I'm going with this (since you expressed concern about that)

Do you mean making an Ad that it is for sale with Adsense? Or advertising via Adwords to get traffic? Sorry, just got home from a party... ^_^

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I'm saying is make your website rank above theirs, whether it be via natural search results or Adsense (the ads that appear next the results only). Target 'Insurance [MajorCityName]' related keywords. Put up a simple 'coming soon' lander with a contact form and see if that is enough for them to offer you to buy it on their own. If you are worried about potential future problems, this is a more subtle way of getting the domain in their face versus outright contact or waiting for them to realize they want the name back.

---------- Post added at 03:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 AM ----------

Sorry, just got home from a party... ^_^

No buying domains tonight. Thou shall not drink and regg. :p

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That definitely makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the suggestion, will take that into consideration.

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

No buying domains tonight. Thou shall not drink and regg. :p[/QUOTE]

gahaha, just saw this.

AmmyTisdale

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is all about how well you maintain your business so if you could then probably they will give you the domain or could affect you.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom