Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

I want to liquidate over 1,300 domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitemaker

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Due to increasing family size (new baby; the third), I need to simplify my life by downsizing my domain-related activities over time.

I have a diverse portfolio (although it is so unfocused that you might consider it more a collection or accumulation) of about 1,500 domains, registered or acquired over many years, beginning in 1997.

I sell about fifteen each year on Sedo, plus a handful get sold annually in forums and via personal contacts. I now want to sell them much faster than that, to scale down.

Several years ago, on a different forum, I saw a thread that worked reasonably well for the seller and was fun for all. I'd like your opinion about whether it would be a good idea to do something similar here:

I would start a thread that would, at weekly intervals, add several dozen new domains to the thread's for-sale list, simultaneously reducing everything that had not sold yet by 5% of the original price. So nothing would remain unsold after twenty weeks.

For me, this method has the advantage of not needing me to organize all the stats and categories for 1,500 domains before beginning to see revenue and simplification. I could gather and organize the info in weekly batches.

My questions are:

Would that be a good way for me to maximize my return on my domains, consistent with liquidating at least 1,300 of them in less than a year? Or would some other method or venue be better?

Would that be an enjoyable shopping experience for the folks here to buy them? Would people check the thread each week for the new additions and to snag whatever they'd been waiting to get low enough?

What would be the best interval? Weekly, monthly, bi-weekly? What would be the best price drop percentage per interval? Five-percent? More? Less?

What day and time each week (or month?) would be the best time to drop the prices and add more domains?

Should I make each week's new additions as diverse an assortment as possible (including many categories, price ranges, and extensions), or try to keep like with like?

What do you folks think? All advice appreciated.

Domain summit 2024

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you could put them in batches based on the types of domains (length, niche, etc) and extensions. That would make it easier to search through.

barrysanders

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
first thought is to price them all out and send the list to people who are interested. then do your method with the unsold ones.

if you do have a priced list PM me with it.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Cherry picking is the way to go. If you have asking prices in mind, PM me the list.

sitemaker

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seems like everybody wants a PM of a completed price list, but my idea was to not wait as long as would be required to curate a list with stats, website descriptions, revenue, etc.

However, nearly all are listed on Sedo (as domains only), so I suppose I might be able to generate a coarse price list from Sedo, and all of you would understand that in a private sale here, I'd save the 10% that Sedo ordinarily takes, and use that result as BIN.

Does that sound right?

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds right. I don't think you have to organize into categories with stats. It might be helpful, especially if they have impressive stats or info that adds to the value, but most domainers can go through a list of 1500 names in 10 minutes.

I would appreciate a copy of the list if that is the way you go.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sell in lots of related niches to help you liquidate quicker and resellers have better pricing. Win/win IMO

sitemaker

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you, all responders, for your counsel.

Regarding the domains that get posted for-sale in a single public thread, which gets added to as I go through the portfolio:

How often is too frequent to expect DNForum members to be online to check the updated thread?

How often is too infrequent to expect people to remember to come back looking specifically for it?
Or too infrequent to keep it near the top of the listings for maximum exposure?
I'm trying to decide the best interval for adding and price-reducing. Weekly, monthly, bi-weekly?

If Sedo's automated pricing tool (which can be kind of a wildcard) suggests $999 and the domain enters the thread with that as a BIN, but this audience wants it for around $450, then if the periodic price drop were 5% of original listing price, that domain would drop $50 per period, taking 11 periods to get sold.
In that time, 11 more sets of domains would be added to the thread, ten of them in various stages of reduction as well.
Would 5% of original listing price be the best price drop percentage per interval?

Final question:
When would be the most convenient time for you to check the thread for the recurring update; i.e., for me to post the price changes and the added domains? What day of the week, and what time of day, would be most convenient for you?

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sitemaker, it all comes down to this: the quality of your domains, and the asking price. Whether you choose to start a sales thread soliciting offers, conduct private sales or auction domains on Sedo, there is no way to predict what $$$ you'll be making.

Now, personally, I am looking for quick acquisitions of quality/aged domains. Despite my 30k+ posts, I rarely engage in a public bidding war lasting days. Unless you have *really* great names and you list them at *really* bargain prices, there is no easy way to achieve a 'feeding frenzy' like the good old days of Igal selling hundreds of domains here.

sitemaker

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All right, guys, I'm starting to test the water:

I just posted a thread offering 34 nice, pronounceable 5-letter dot-coms.

Only nine have meanings, the other twenty-five are just good-sounding nonsense.

Please let me know what you think. Comments on the names would not be appropriate in that sales thread, but I welcome any insights you might share here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators