Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

i was right! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
back in my rookie domain days i regged a domain... one of my first non-hip hop(and thus non-personal) names...

and the name was... insiderscoop.com (handregged following a brainstorming session)

i put it up for appraisail and got the following responses (ignore the banter between myself and namepopper we were talking about my joinmycult.com domain)...

Appraisal thread

anyways there was i disheartened and downtrodden (all together now...ahhhhhhh). and i eventually end up selling it for next to nothing to the first buyer who came along...

today just out of curiousity i decide to take a peep at it and see if it has been developed... the answer it has... into a top-listed site as decided by forbes... who knows what amazing deal went down to buy the domain that is the exact name of their software... who knows how many millions :))) of dollars were carted to the lucky owners house by the wheelbarrow full...

anyways i'm not bitter but i thought it might make a good domain discussion topic to see if anyone else has ever sold a name cheap only to see it balloon in popularity/size/price...

Ciq

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ciqala
... if anyone else has ever sold a name cheap only to see it balloon in popularity/size/price...
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I guess it's equally interesting: I ALMOST sold an Internet-related name for $70 right here at DNForum, but then the highest bidder turned down his own offer and walked away with a lousy pretext. In less than 10 days, I sold that very same name for $1,000 to an end-user. LOL!

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The lesson to learn is never to just dump names that you think have some possibility. I see many people here start devaluing their names after they have had them a week and sell them for peanuts (less than reg fee) to someone else here that has the patience to hang on a while.

I have fallen prey to this mentality myself in the past and sold names for next to nothing only later to see an end user site at the domain. I learned my lesson and would rather let a name drop than sell it for $1

On the bright side, many companies now pick their product names based upon easy availability of the domain name - so I don't think you lost out on millions, probably $500 - 1k range.

If you do this long enough, you will be the beneficiary of someone else's impatience and lack of conviction.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand how you feel Ciq. :)

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sold domainempire.com to Lugi a year or so ago and he uses it for his chat name here. :)

I sold p45.com to a store and it looks pretty good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom