Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Icann Registration Fee!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just renewed a domain and GoDaddy charged and additional "ICANN" :angry:

"Fee charged by ICANN

This mandatory fee is charged by ICANN (Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers: www.icann.org). and becomes effective on November 1, 2004. It is 25 cents per domain name registration year. Thus, the fee on a one year .com registration would be 25 cents. The fee would be 50 cents for a two year registration (i.e. 25 cents times 2). Additional years would be at 25 cents per year.

ICANN fees apply to .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, and .name."

Looks more like a "tax" then a "fee". Maybe ICANN needs to drop the ".org", or go to a ".com" for their website.

DD :-(

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
got the same here! I have no idea what is this fee?! Is it only GoDaddy or all registrars?

starg8

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lwgik said:
got the same here! I have no idea what is this fee?! Is it only GoDaddy or all registrars?

The fee applies to all Registrars. The new ICANN budget can be found at http://www.icann.org.

Tom

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
starg8 said:
The fee applies to all Registrars. The new ICANN budget can be found at http://www.icann.org.

Tom

The question now is which ones will add the fee as an add-on and which will include it in prices. I'm guessing any registrar charging $12 and above will probably absorb the fee, and many under $8 will add it or raise prices slightly.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, Go Daddy is running a 'sale' on .COM, .NET, and .ORG names now. They are $8.70 vs. $8.95! I guess that they are just 'adjusting' us right now.

My thought is that the expensive registrars might even use it as an excuse to raise their prices. These guys obviously aren't looking for us except perhaps to trap us through Pool or something! The truth is that a lot of 'non-domainers' people are afraid to change registrars. My wife works with a company that handles trade association business. They had someone who was with NetSol that the IT person tried to talk into going with one of the less costly registrars but they strongly did not want to leave NetSol as they thought they were likely getting better service there (ie - The old 'you get what you pay for' thought) than they would at the less costly registrar. I suspect that if NetSol should go back to $70 that they'll still be there. Heck, if someone will charge them $100, they may just want to move!

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
radioz said:
They had someone who was with NetSol that the IT person tried to talk into going with one of the less costly registrars but they strongly did not want to leave NetSol as they thought they were likely getting better service there (ie - The old 'you get what you pay for' thought) than they would at the less costly registrar. I suspect that if NetSol should go back to $70 that they'll still be there.

I doubt NetSol and those who charge big would have to raise prices. I'm sure
they already factored that.

Then again, among those who charge within the $30+ range, NetSol seems
more reliable and has more "freebies" to offer, although I can be wrong about
the reliability factor...

cnnetbiz

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually, all ICANNN Accredited registrar are required to pay such fee to ICANN. While some regsitrar collect such fee from customer, some are not.

why don't you choose CNOBIN? the price of CNOBIN is $6.59, No other hidden fee required!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom