Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

ICANN rules - can a country SELL it's ccTLD operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is one for the legal buffs:

Is it possible for a country to sell, i.e. meaning relinquish complete control of it's TLD operations to an entity outside of that country? I don't mean contracting out, I mean a complete sale of ownership. Anyone any ideas? I haven't checked it out but it would seem to me that this would be impossible? Maybe a daft question?

Thanks!

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
isnt that what has happened with .ws and a few others?

I think though, it would be impossible to sell it completely. Some control would have to be maintained, and i dont think ICANN has anything to do with it, but rather International agreements etc...

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, .ws and .cc etc. decided to go 'global' with their TLDs, but as you suggest, I'm sure the country maintains ultimate control. I think they just licensed or 'commissioned in' all the registrars that sell it. For some of these smaller countries, the income derived is significant to their general economy.

I have a colleague who is trying to arrange the operation or takeover of a third world ccTLD but as that country's government is untrustworthy and unstable to say the least, I am suggesting to him that as no paper contract would ever be worth the paper, he'd have to take over complete control. I have also told him I think that's impossible.

More comments welcome and thanks!

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have done the same thing and being down the same road. :)
I even went as far as going to the country.
But , my lawyers advised that any shift in government would cancel any previously done contracts, as this specific country's government is unstable...
I am not a lawyer, but I took his advise seriously, and in the long run, I do not think it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom