Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For Sale Icann slowing down WLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With Snapnames and Netsol trying to Push WLS so everyone accepts it ......... they are going to fast for ICANN

Letter from Paul Twomey to Chuck Gomes :

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/twomey-letter-to-gomes-04sep03.htm

"We understand that VeriSign has stated it intends to launch offering the WLS to the public in October 2003. We wish to reiterate, and reaffirm our mutual understanding, that the WLS may not be launched until 1) negotiations on conditions for offering the WLS are final and the contractual amendments to the .com and .net agreements effected and 2) in accordance with our Memorandum of Understanding with the United States Department of Commerce, the Department of Commerce has approved the contractual amendments as required by Section 1 of the MoU, as amended. We note that information provided on the VeriSign registry website (see http://www.verisign.com/nds/naming/namestore/wls/) fails to mention that these outstanding requirements remain unsatisfied for the launch of the WLS. We believe statements omitting this information are misleading and ask you to identify when making public statements those further conditions to be satisfied before the WLS can be implemented."

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
everyone apposed to WLS needs to jump and this point now.

Also why doesn't Pool get all the registers under them to sue ICANN from different countries ? therefore raising ICANN's legal costs even more.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
Whois, very interesting.

Am I reading it correctly? Icann is saying to Verisign "not so fast". "There are more negotiations to be done". "And, approval is required by Dept. of Commerce".

Where have you been Richard, we have been talking about that letter for days?! :-D

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is strange as they are still taking WLS pre-registrations on the site, with no mention of a potential delay? Seems like they should post the delay on their sites, in an attempt to avoid the out-cry from customers that have placed WLS pre-buys on domains that will drop the first month or two of start-up. I guess we are not surprised at that. Suppose this is a buyer beware issue, again?

M

mole

The way ICANN is pissing Verisign off, I won't be surprised if NRR just swipes up all those names themselves into the Netsol registrar without the other registrars having even a sniffing chance.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
Mole, do you think maybe Verisign is pissing off ICANN?
I think that may be the case Richard - The contract for .net comes up in a year or so I think and we may all be surprised where that goes for the registry services (Maybe Microsoft - They are playing .net hard in many marketing campaigns) - Just a thought.

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
DOC and capitol hill.

Pipe dreams though.

VGRS isn't the one with a lawsuit on its hands -- maybe not surprising ICANN is voicing this opinion publicly.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by URLCollection
I think that may be the case Richard - The contract for .net comes up in a year or so I think and we may all be surprised where that goes for the registry services (Maybe Microsoft - They are playing .net hard in many marketing campaigns) - Just a thought.
Yeah, oddly, you don't hear them complaining over the lost traffic from MSN's search in IE on non-existing domain names. Would be an interesting turn of events, as I'm sure they'd glady love to be at the root.

~ Nexus

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The contract for .net comes up in a year or so I think and we may all be surprised where that goes for the registry services (Maybe Microsoft - They are playing .net hard in many marketing campaigns

Ummm Verisign is already owned my Microsoft.... so does it really matter which one of them gets it? :evil: :evil:

NexSite

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by clemzonguy

Ummm Verisign is already owned my Microsoft.... so does it really matter which one of them gets it? :evil: :evil:

Somebody wake me up. I remember this as a an April fools joke.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I noticed that the Dept of Commerce extended Icann's contract for another 3 years.

It was due to expire 9-30-03?

Icann and Dept of Commerce agreed to a number of terms but I can not read between the lines for these terms.

Maybe, the terms will become more clear in the coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom