Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

ICANN & Valid Contact Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a problem with the ICANN valid contact information rule. How do they know if the contact information is invalid. If I list invalid contact information to keep people from spamming me, will my domain get canceled?

~ Newbie

Domain Days 2024

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Potentially yes, you could.

You can pay extra at most registrars for a "private" registration, but I don't recommend that. If you have hundreds of domains the extra fees add up fast!

My solution is to rent a P.O. Box to use as your address on the registration, and use an email address that you ONLY use for WHOIS listing. Don't use it for anything else. Change the email address once a month or so and you will be fine.

Use something like 4924924993 @ yourdomain.com. :)

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ICANN itself doesn't check, but rather relies on registrars to do so based on whois data problem reports filed by the public at-large.

Whois data problem reports is an under-documented security hole ... anyone can file a report in the hopes of knocking a domain off-line and/or hijacking it.

Registrars are all supposed to act equally on whois data problem reports reports, but in reality, some will generally ignore them and do nothing while other registrars won't hessistate initating action (ie. emailing the registrant) even if the trouble report itself appears suspect.

Here's the kicker ... passwords, registrar-lock, etc are offer zero protection from whois data problem reports...

And theoretically (never heard of it happening as of yet), a "private" registration could be vulnerable too if the filer of the whois data problem report convinces the registrar that the underlying whois information is incorrect - this admittedly is a stretch, but not beyond the realm of possibilities.

With all that said, the easiest way to avoid most such problems is to maintain accurate whois information on file at all times...

007's post about getting a PO BOX is spot on... that's definitely the way to go. Many domain folks do that - that was among the first things I did back in 1997 when I registered my first domains.

Not so keen on 007s changing the email address suggestion though ... yes, changing emails a lot can greatly reduce spam ... but it's easy to lose track (or for a registrar to do so and revert back to an older one) ... faulty / outdated email addresses is how many lose their domains; experience problems performing updates.

Ron

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom