Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Idea....thoughts please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've had this idea running through my head recently, wanted to hear some feedback. I love the domain game, but I've realized what I love most about it is the actual hunting for the names - the thrill of the chase if you will. Obviously I like getting the names, but I have limited time and resources to snap all of the names and to then market and sell them.

That said, I seem to find a good amount of good domains that will be dropping (in my opinion). These names fall into 3 categories - 1) names i get that nobody else snaps 2) names that go to auction with less than 5 people and 3) names that go to auction with 5+ people, usually including the usual suspects.

Anyway, would there be a market (or is there already a service) where I provide a select group of people (or even just an individual) with my lists of good upcoming drops. I would agree not to bid any on names I give out (and if I find something I really like, I wouldn't put it on the list).

There are plenty of "what ifs" involved, but I'd be interested to hear if any of you out there would be willing to pay a weekly or monthly fee to get lists of domains that generally are not on the "super great about to expire" public lists.....

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its a good idea, however in order for you to be successful you would need a lot of clients, which would make it a "super great about to expire" private list, with much competition, no?

I realize your talking about providing "niche" domains, but are you going to limit how many people you give each domain list to or will it be available to everyone that signs up?

Personally, I wouldn't pay any kind of premium monthly fee unless I was convinced that the list I was getting was only going to a few others and not every big budget domainer in the industry.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you are completely right - which is why it would be so tricky.

If I agreed to only have 5 customers, you'd probably like it. But then I'd need to charge a pretty good amount to make it worth my while....

If anyone is interested, let me know and perhaps I'll put together a sample of some of the names I've found that might be decent.

My names generally aren't going to be $5,000 names that others miss, but will be names that are worth $60 because you can resell them to someone for $250 or $500 within a year or two.

Blarian said:
I think its a good idea, however in order for you to be successful you would need a lot of clients, which would make it a "super great about to expire" private list, with much competition, no?

I realize your talking about providing "niche" domains, but are you going to limit how many people you give each domain list to or will it be available to everyone that signs up?

Personally, I wouldn't pay any kind of premium monthly fee unless I was convinced that the list I was getting was only going to a few others and not every big budget domainer in the industry.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I considered this aswell some time ago and started a similar thread. I gave in this thread a sample of that days domains. Grant it these were the worst of the bunch but still were good picks for reg fee. To make a long story short several people were interested but what discouraged me following through with it is when one of them sent me 40dnf for the name they registered.

I know this is was the standard at the time but if you're like me you spend 3-4 hours a day creating your list. With a 40dnf donation for a suggestion I would rather put it in with the thousands of other "will reg when I get the dough file" and pass on the dnf.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Selling information can be tricky, users that are paying for the info can leave you in a hurry if it proves not to be profitable for them, the senario mentioned here would be hard to get a return on investment (time is money).

I would use a different approach to the business model. I would build a website and I would make the info free in the form of a weekly/monthly opt-in newsletter , users will certainly look for free, this newsletter would be a great highly targeted opt-in advertising revenue generator for you after you got to 1,000+ opt-ins, then I would make the newsletter just a "Latest Link" newsletter with just enough information where they have to read past the advertisements, what I mean by "Latest Link" is they have to actually click a link to your website to get the latest list/info, you have to noticably create a different page/link for each "new list" so they know they have to look for the link in the newsletter , and do not post the link on the website - only in the newsletter, now you have a real website traffic builder to create more revenue from adsense and others like banner sales etc...on your website. This website/newsletter could also become very valuable if you ever decided to sell it.

Just a different angle for you to think about.

BTW, I wanna be the first opt-in :)

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, this is another good idea. Now if I only had time between my full time job, 3 side projects and major website I'm about to launch....stay tuned, I'll work something out here......

Searchsix.com said:
Selling information can be tricky, users that are paying for the info can leave you in a hurry if it proves not to be profitable for them, the senario mentioned here would be hard to get a return on investment (time is money).

I would use a different approach to the business model. I would build a website and I would make the info free in the form of a weekly/monthly opt-in newsletter , users will certainly look for free, this newsletter would be a great highly targeted opt-in advertising revenue generator for you after you got to 1,000+ opt-ins, then I would make the newsletter just a "Latest Link" newsletter with just enough information where they have to read past the advertisements, what I mean by "Latest Link" is they have to actually click a link to your website to get the latest list/info, you have to noticably create a different page/link for each "new list" so they know they have to look for the link in the newsletter , and do not post the link on the website - only in the newsletter, now you have a real website traffic builder to create more revenue from adsense and others like banner sales etc...on your website. This website/newsletter could also become very valuable if you ever decided to sell it.

Just a different angle for you to think about.

BTW, I wanna be the first opt-in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom