Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Idea to help the Asia Tsunami Appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of you may have noticed that I recently auctioned PapuaNewGuinea.org with the proceeds going to help the Asia Tsunami relief fund & that Wot (the winning bidder) graciously made the $500 donation & said for me to re-auction the name to make more $$$ for the appeal.

Anyway... I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea if lots of people from this forum got together & all put in a name or two each & made one big auction like I did it with my own name.... this way we should be able to raise several thousands of dollars for the appeal if everyone puts in atleast one name with some value.

To make this work smoothly; I think the best way to do it would be for all names that are put in, they should all be pushed to a trusted third party or an admin of this forum so that the bidders will be comfortable in knowing that they will get ALL the names they are bidding for & won't have to chase them around etc... to make it even simpler I think we should only include names from the one registrar, which also has an easy push feature... I think the best registrar for this would be enom seeing as basically everyone here has an account there.

I think it would be best if the auction was run by a mod or admin if we did this, but I would also be happy to do it.

Anyway... let me know your thoughts! :)

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think they did something similar at [haha i can't say np] for children at Christmas. People submitted domains that were expiring/worth under $50, and they held an auction in the chatroom. They seemed to enjoy it, and lots of stuff got sold.

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like your thinking. I would certainly contribute. However, I see one flaw -- one lump sum auction would mean only one winner, which would mean once the price tag exceeds most small-time domainers' (such as myself) budget, they wouldn't be able to contribute.

How about DNForum starts a new catagory -- Auctions for Charity. Each of us can post one or more domains in that thread, specifying which charity the auction is for. Some people may prefer UNICEF, others Red Cross, AmeriCares, etc.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You make a good point Fle8..... my original thinking was that when involving many names that it would run much smoother if you auctioned them all in one hit; but I do like your auctions for charity forum idea. :)

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any more thoughts on this?

jojoyohan

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
UNICEF is the only charity that gives 100% of what you donate to where its needed. The American Red Cross only uses 90% and the other 10% goes to operating costs. I'd bid in order to donate. Good ideas so far.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Correct... but that only relates to things like 'disasters' I believe... I think I heard they usually give out like 97% but 100% if it's a real disaster like this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom