Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

IDN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello to all fellow domainers,

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am trying to reg a 2 word arabic IDN . The resulting translation shows me 2 seperate arabic scripts. IF I joint those together and try and reg them it does not convert back to the 2 english words and instead is gobbledeegook . How can you reg a 2 or 3 word arabic script domain then ??. usually if you reg a usual english domain like say
Frank Spencer you can join the 2 words together like FrankSpencer. What I find with arabic script domains though is that it wont accept them or else says it is free but then you reverse convert it from puny code to arabic script and it read like say yhtngn4ngnh .

Any help appreciated

Thanks
DG

domainstosell

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is an issue with many arabic script domains in that the letters tend to "stick together" or join to form a different letter alotogether. Instead of "FrankSpencer" (as in your example), it could kind of be considered roughly comparable to it turning into "Franencer" for example. Some people are regging hyphenated 2 and 3 word arabic terms to combat this letter stickiness - I believe it is a problem in the way the unicode is handled, although I could be wrong.

With all of that said, I have a few "stuck together" 2 word Arabic terms that do get traffic and clicks, so if it is a decent term, you may still consider grabbing it.

Good luck!

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Would still be interested to hear others advice or comments as well. As I say there are usually 2 results for re. Either the whois says the domain is "available" but then when I reconvert it from Punycode to Arabic script and then translate it it is unintelligible ,OR the whois says "You did not enter a valid UTF-8 encoded domain name"

Any work arounds apart from the suggested hyphens welcomed.

Thanks
DG

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If there is any space between the characters it will not register the Arabic IDN and you get the "invalid" prompt. Try inserting the hypen in the open space. Arabic is always worth getting an opinion from a native speaker, also because you want to make sure you are getting the "unaccented" version of terms as well. Also when checking with google, make sure you put the "quote" symbols around your term.

Register IDNs at dynadot where you can cancel for up to 4 days. You can also get free appraisals from members here, np and also idnforums to make sure you got it right. IDNs are starting to see some traffic with all the recent publicity. Won't be long (mid 2008?) before Microsoft has IE7 auto update out in the Middle East and Asia. Still a lot of good keywords out there if you search hard. Some people sell very good lists at reasonable prices, I got quite a few strong generics that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom