Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

if you just discovered domains...there's still room for profit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
from reading thru posts on various forums, i've noticed newbies continue to ask..."can i still make money in this biz"?

with many of them feeling like latecomers to the party, arriving long after the balloons have withered and the cake has been eaten....

they feel like they missed something

well, yes you missed a lot, but there are STILL plenty of domains with traffic, that produce revenue, that are dropping every day.

many you can catch for $69 or less

so, "keep hope alive" :)

imo...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree, it's never too late. But you must be dedicated to succeed as it's a real business.

Besides, tomorrow we will be saying yesterday was the good ole days :)

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not too late for a newbie, I think they just have to work a lot harder and spend a lot more money than the good old days when you could register 3 letter dot coms left and right with no problem, and dictionary dotcoms were still readily available. The number one thing I see with newbies is that they don't think in terms of how could this domain be used on the net before registering, (something I was guilty of in the beginning) which can involve hundreds of hours of research in a given year if done on a regular basis. If newbies think in more practical terms on any given name, and try to stick with dotcom whenever possible, and develop those domains rather than park them, success is still possible. Make yourself purge or reduce your domains held on a regular basis and get better ones, or ones with more potential profit. Just a few thoughts to ponder...

I also acknowledge that almost any domain can be made into a successful business given sufficient branding efforts, time and money.

Ukrainian

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you review the domain industry for the past 2 years, like what is worth of what, if you look at the sales, ask for an advice on the forum and invest good money, you'll earn some money

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you are no longer a dnforum mod, so what is your agenda?

only joking biggie... you always make great posts.

Thanks dscristo!

the agenda has always been the same

to learn, to grow, to share, to profit

to stimulate the minds of others...to think outside the box

a box that contains your limitations.

next > " why boxes are created for you "

imo...

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would say the question is not whether there is still money to be made for newbies but whether they feel they have to work hard to get windfalls. It's the same old story, you've got people who spend 60 hours a week trying to do x when they should be doing y.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well, yes you missed a lot, but there are STILL plenty of domains with traffic, that produce revenue, that are dropping every day. imo...

True and in fact I just grabbed 2 for $60 using Snapnames which are receiving good traffic including typeins.

With that said, imo, an even better opportunity to succeed is from newly registering long tail targeted keyword names (in good categories) mostly in dot com or dot org tlds. 3, 4 or even 5 word names can work well, especially in areas suce as health and financials.

I am always running across names like that which are unregistered and if I reg them and put online I will often see traffic right from the start and before doing any SEO work.

Slipxaway

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most of the domains I've acquired and sold over the past few years have been either hand regs or GoDaddy auction domains in the $5 closeout bin or the $10 expiring list. I've routinely made $xxx and $x,xxx sales with these domains. Routinely is maybe a strong word, because it's not like I'm doing it every day, but I limit my purchases to only a few domains that I see potential in and in the vast majority of the cases I make a huge ROI. So the profits are still definitely there for anyone to grab. It just takes a good eye, a lot of shoveling through $%!^ and serious self-discipline.

I've actually been out of the domaining biz for the past year or more and I'm basically starting over from scratch. I know all of the time and effort involved, so I wouldn't even be bothering if I didn't think there was still huge money to be made with the right plays. Best of luck to everyone, just stay off my turf! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom