Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

If you use Google Exact Match to decide to buy domains.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if i'm using it for comparisons, anything above [10] if i like the term and the cpc is @ or above $0.25

one just has to be careful not to get too dependant on gkwt for guidance with domain acquisitions.

HomerJ

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i like to look at phrase match when considering domains for development potential. because when developed, you are really going after long-tail keyword traffic, not mainly the exact keyword phrase. So for example, it might have an exact match of only [1000] but a phrase match of "25,000", and you have the opportunity to rank for all those long-tail phrases

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of the long tail isn't derived from the core keyword though. If you develop a large content site you rank for lots of other related keywords.The exact match is a much better indicator when determining the value of a domain.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The search volume alone is not relevant enough.
Other factors to ponder are:
  • how much competition
  • what's the CPC like
  • if you're going to develop, is that something you're familiar with
etc

gdep

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you use Google Exact Match to decide to buy domains, what is your minimum 'exact match number' it must for you to consider it a good buy?

or do you go by 'Broad Match' or 'Phrase Match' instead?

Being as green as they come, I was wondering the same thing tonight – so glad I found this thread.

I don't understand this enough to have an opinion right now, but I do look at the keywords to get a relative idea of popularity. I use the exact search over broad or phrase match because that seemed to be the consensus of the threads I've read to date on this topic. That said, I'm interested to hear what others think the merit is on using the other choices. I can see phrase match being a helpful tool to use as well, but I really don't understand any of this right now.

With respect to the original question, was it related to hand reg’d names or when buying an existing name?

Assuming it’s related to hand reg’d names, is it enough that when considering to hand register [geo]+[keyword], the geo and keyword each independently satisfy the minimum “exact match number”, when the combined [geo]+[keyword] does not? Is the answer the same when considering to hand register a domain name [keyword]+[keyword]?

Here’s a somewhat related question I haven’t been able to find an answer for – how does one go about determining type-in traffic for a domain name that you’re looking to hand register? How about one that’s already owned? When looking to buy an existing domain?

In the gkwt, what is the row entitled “website” used for? I originally thought that was for type-in traffic, but now I don’t think so.

Thanks
Gerry

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Being as green as they come, I was wondering the same thing tonight – so glad I found this thread.

I don't understand this enough to have an opinion right now, but I do look at the keywords to get a relative idea of popularity. I use the exact search over broad or phrase match because that seemed to be the consensus of the threads I've read to date on this topic. That said, I'm interested to hear what others think the merit is on using the other choices. I can see phrase match being a helpful tool to use as well, but I really don't understand any of this right now.

With respect to the original question, was it related to hand reg’d names or when buying an existing name?

Assuming it’s related to hand reg’d names, is it enough that when considering to hand register [geo]+[keyword], the geo and keyword each independently satisfy the minimum “exact match number”, when the combined [geo]+[keyword] does not? Is the answer the same when considering to hand register a domain name [keyword]+[keyword]?

Here’s a somewhat related question I haven’t been able to find an answer for – how does one go about determining type-in traffic for a domain name that you’re looking to hand register? How about one that’s already owned? When looking to buy an existing domain?

In the gkwt, what is the row entitled “website” used for? I originally thought that was for type-in traffic, but now I don’t think so.

Thanks
Gerry

There is no way to tell typeins from other traffic short or owning the name, but you can get a pretty good feel by exact match searches as long as the name isnt too long, I have found 1k exact matches on 2 word domains, gets small typein traffic every month.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For cheap or hand reg names, I like to see
.com >250
.net > 1000
.org > 2000
.us or .info >40,000

But the name must also have some type of obvious monetization potential. Product name, high CPC, etc.
There are, of course, exceptions and other categories of names I pursue, but for minisite development if you stick to some basic rules, you can help keep your portfolio in better shape.

gdep

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks fatter and INFORG - I appreciate both of your responses....very helpful.

DnArab.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why you ask , Adam ?!

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read in a few different places the number 10,000+ Although I feel at this point it doesn't guarantee one anything, as i have many (exact keyword matched) .COM s that have over 100,000 - 800,000 monthly searches and tens upon tens of millions or hundreds of millions in google search links; They receive no-where near the amount of typin traffic I thought they might...

I also would like to add most of these domains are 10-15 Letter .coms and have Mostly Medium to High Competition. and some with Low as well

Anyone with further insight?

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Also before I forget, The Difference between Global and Monthly Searchs ?? how crucial is it?

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I read in a few different places the number 10,000+ Although I feel at this point it doesn't guarantee one anything, as i have many (exact keyword matched) .COM s that have over 100,000 - 800,000 monthly searches and tens upon tens of millions or hundreds of millions in google search links; They receive no-where near the amount of typin traffic I thought they might...

I also would like to add most of these domains are 10-15 Letter .coms and have Mostly Medium to High Competition. and some with Low as well

Anyone with further insight?
We can't provide any insight without knowing the domains AND your definition of an appropriate amount of type-in traffic. Catholic--Church.com has 800K+ exact searches according to Google but doesn't get many type-ins for good reason.

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
several of the the high monthly search domains are for example suchandsuchforrent.com or forrentsomeplace.com ... I hand reg. several that I thought would be good, and haven't so far created the typin traffic I thought they might.. Less than 50 a day Unique Visits on most, I am wondering if I developed if they would produce significantly better results?

All currently parked with Sedo... ??? Good choice Bad Choice? All are listed for Sale on Sedo, I am trying to keep it simple so Parked/Sale are at SEDO....

BTW Chipmeade I love the FreshAvails.com ...

Last edited:

Aluminum Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
... i have many (exact keyword matched) .COM s that have over 100,000 - 800,000 exact match monthly searches and tens upon tens of millions or hundreds of millions in google search links; They receive no-where near the amount of typin traffic I thought they might...

several of the the high monthly search domains are for example suchandsuchforrent.com or forrentsomeplace.com ... I hand reg. several that I thought would be good, and haven't so far created the typin traffic I thought they might.. Less than 50 a day Unique Visits on most, I am wondering if I developed if they would produce significantly better results? All currently parked with Sedo...

Dot coms in the format [ ____ for rent] that have more than 100,000 exact match keyword monthly searches are as rare as hens teeth. [Houses for rent], [apartments for rent] and [homes for rent] get 246,000, 165,000 and 135,000 exact match global monthly searches respectively. None of those dot coms are parked at Sedo so you must own something else. One notch down in search volume are these blue chip phrases: [house for rent] 74,000, [apartment for rent] 33,100, [room for rent] 22,200, [rooms for rent] 22,200 and [home for rent] 12,100. Those are below 100,000 which is less than your names. I'm baffled.

If you routinely hand reg non-™ names that individually get anywhere close to 50 type-ins per day then I nominate you for domainer of the year.

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well I am slightly confused by your post as House for rent under Google Adwords Tool doesn't produce 74,000 results (unless I am typing it in wrong) it produces 13.6MM and Hen's teeth haven't been that rare since 2006 on Google's number 3 result ??

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

We can't provide any insight without knowing the domains AND your definition of an appropriate amount of type-in traffic. Catholic--Church.com has 800K+ exact searches according to Google but doesn't get many type-ins for good reason.

Well I did mention almost every specific except that dot com name itself..

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

You guys probably have much more experience than me .. at this point I am thinking "did i miss something?" I don't use tools to guide towards my domain regs. at this point.. Should I ? 000 is member since 2004 with an obvious abundant more experience than myself, he is indicating different answers than myself. What "em I missing?"

For example some Recent Hand Reg Domains (excluding prior regs or history, only simple typing to find if it is available"

EnglandForRent.com
UKForRent.com
ForRentBrisbane.com

a few of the possibly more promising hand regs. lately.

Honest opinions please, are these good or bad type GEO Domains to move forward with?

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think we have solved the dilemma. When entering the terms into google be sure to check the "Exact" box. Exact search number for those names you mentioned...

[england for rent] < 10
[uk for rent] < 10
[for rent brisbane] 140

Glad you like FreshAvails.com. Good luck

AtTheLake

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ah ha learning moment for myself! Exact button! lol

Anyone want to chime in on the value difference between the exact and broad results? experiences, luck etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom