Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Illegal Domain Names/Trade Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaintriix

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what Trade Infringement means but I thought it might mean this.

I bought the following domain names a while back and am worried that I stepped
on some toes is the way I put it. Here they are:
!
GoogleBible.co.uk

Pinterestalk.com (with 1 T)

SkypeConnection.com

CraigsListForIdiots.com

Can anyone tell me if I did the wrong thing and can I still sell them. I think I remember
SEDO turning me down for GoogleBible.com but not the rest?

Please help!

Thanks!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would just delete them - some of those companies are VERY protective of their names and will not only file a WIPO complaint but will also sue.

Make the DNS a null too (0.0.0.0) so you don't have them pointed to a parked page.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GoogleBible.co.uk

The first one is the one that might get you some heat from the Big G.

The second one is totally a dud.

SkypeConnection.com

CraigsListForIdiots.com
The skype thing is nice but Skype is all about connections. I'm not sure it would have any traffic to make it even worth keeping.

The Craigs list thing might be a good site as it seems fan sites or instructional sites are less prone to get nailed.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are all infringing domains. All of them are putting you at risk of legal action regardless of your content. Just delete them and read some posts on how to get properly started right here on this forum.

domaintriix

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback! Now I know what to do or Gerry - do you agree with draggar about the Name Servers?

Should I do that?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not agree or disagree.

Some you should absolutely abandon.

"fan sites" are usually set up with or without permission of the "target" (celebrity, business, entity, etc.). The "Craigs List" might be okay if it was an actual informational site. About 1,160,000 results for craigs list for idiots. I am not advocating you do a site. If you were so inclined, you may be also stepping on toes of the group that publishes "The Complete Idiots Guide to...".

Due diligence, including perhaps contacting Craigslist with your plans for a site, if that is the route you take.

And yes...since each of those names carries a well branded name and TM, they do infringe.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You forgot to register:

MicrosoftWindows8ForDummies.com
IntelProcessorsForSale.com
DiscoverVisaMastercardCards.com

I'm not really sure what Trade Infringement means but I thought it might mean this.

I bought the following domain names a while back and am worried that I stepped
on some toes is the way I put it. Here they are:
!
GoogleBible.co.uk

SkypeConnection.com

CraigsListForIdiots.com

Can anyone tell me if I did the wrong thing and can I still sell them. I think I remember
SEDO turning me down for GoogleBible.com but not the rest?

Please help!

Thanks!

domaintriix

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You forgot to register:

MicrosoftWindows8ForDummies.com
IntelProcessorsForSale.com
DiscoverVisaMastercardCards.com

Thanks I appreciate that. You know I'm new and don't need those kind of comments already!

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Staying away from trademarks is Rule #1 of domaining as far as I am concerned. It is a very common mistake of newbies (that and registering WAY too many crappy names before they know what they are doing).

All of the examples you gave are clearly infringing and I would recommend that you just delete them through your registrar. I know it sucks to lose the reg fees, but consider it the cost of your domaining education. A great way to avoid pitfalls is to read and learn as much as you can on this forum, domainer blogs, and everywhere else you can find info, before you go too crazy registering names. It will probably save you some money. Best of luck!

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in my 2 cents here, though it may not make me very popular...

I have been a domainer, on and off, for almost 15 years. But domaining has always been secondary to running a primary business, usually with a major online component. I have built two successful businesses from nothing, and am about to launch a third.

In business, as in life, there are two kinds of people. Ones who create, and ones who feed off of the things other people create.

I am not one to pass judgement on the latter. Many great things have been accomplished by those who have improved upon or added to the experience of things created by others.

However, there is a distinct line between adding or improving upon something, and becoming a parasite off of it.

Before you register any more domains, I suggest you put some serious thought (and research) into what exactly your strategy should be in the domain business. In addition to the legal risks you take by buying infringing domains, you are sacrificing a few other important things. For instance, your integrity. Or your karma (it is real, though not in a supernatural sense - in life you usually eventually reap what you sow). Also, you will always be looking over your shoulder, not just for lawsuits, but for search engine delistings, or for someone who feels infringed trying to make a public example out of you, etc.

How much better it would be, long term, to create something that is useful to others. Whether it is a directory, a product, a service, an application, or whatever your imagination can conjure up. It will actually make you a better person to be contributing to society in some way rather than feeding off of it.

Sure, it may be harder to create, which is why there are relatively few people who do it. But the ones who take it seriously, and are not afraid to leave their comfort zone, will be rewarded in the end. Maybe not on the first project, or the second or third. But if you are determined to make it work, you will fail a few times, adjust your strategies accordingly, and eventually find your way to creating something that benefits people and earns you rewards for your efforts.

There are a lot of people on this forum who have done just that, and you would be wise to seek them out and learn from the wisdom they are willing to share.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't want to endorse TM infringement. Yes, you can look on the internet and see thousand perhaps millions of "tribute" sites that reflect the TM in the name.

How do they get away with it? who knows. Perhaps not as aggressive in seeking out those infringers.

But, if it is a company like Microsoft, they will pursue the infringer and they will take them directly to court. The most recent one that comes to mind was in Indiana. MSN filed for damages against 4 (?) domainers. And of course MSN won.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Set the servers to zero, sit and let them expire if that happens. If a C&D is sent before such time try to negotiate for a small amount ($500-$1k), if that fails, give it up.

jmo but based on a lot of weekly end user buys there is a reason they are $XXXX mainly...it is that or lose them for the seller.

Think about any new buys or regs in the future and try to avoid it, or make it a career, has worked well for MOST of the successful domainers since the beginning.

Truth hurts.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@dcristo, I stopped caring too much about hurting feelings years ago. If people can't handle a bit of hard truth, they definitely don't belong in business.

The world needs service workers too.

:)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate that. You know I'm new and don't need those kind of comments already!

According to those "gems" you've been registering domains for a year now. And if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

domaintriix

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in my 2 cents here, though it may not make me very popular...

I have been a domainer, on and off, for almost 15 years. But domaining has always been secondary to running a primary business, usually with a major online component. I have built two successful businesses from nothing, and am about to launch a third.

In business, as in life, there are two kinds of people. Ones who create, and ones who feed off of the things other people create.

I am not one to pass judgement on the latter. Many great things have been accomplished by those who have improved upon or added to the experience of things created by others.

However, there is a distinct line between adding or improving upon something, and becoming a parasite off of it.

Before you register any more domains, I suggest you put some serious thought (and research) into what exactly your strategy should be in the domain business. In addition to the legal risks you take by buying infringing domains, you are sacrificing a few other important things. For instance, your integrity. Or your karma (it is real, though not in a supernatural sense - in life you usually eventually reap what you sow). Also, you will always be looking over your shoulder, not just for lawsuits, but for search engine delistings, or for someone who feels infringed trying to make a public example out of you, etc.

How much better it would be, long term, to create something that is useful to others. Whether it is a directory, a product, a service, an application, or whatever your imagination can conjure up. It will actually make you a better person to be contributing to society in some way rather than feeding off of it.

Sure, it may be harder to create, which is why there are relatively few people who do it. But the ones who take it seriously, and are not afraid to leave their comfort zone, will be rewarded in the end. Maybe not on the first project, or the second or third. But if you are determined to make it work, you will fail a few times, adjust your strategies accordingly, and eventually find your way to creating something that benefits people and earns you rewards for your efforts.

There are a lot of people on this forum who have done just that, and you would be wise to seek them out and learn from the wisdom they are willing to share.

This I can appreciate -- thank you. I can take the heat. I'm just new and need things explained to me. I have only been buying domains for under a year so no, i'm not that familiar with everything yet but I will delete those domain names and move on to reading more about domains from different avenues.

Thanks for the feedback.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To echo everyone else, drop these names. You also should consider removing the names from your top post.

It's a buyers market right now, no need to get in trouble when you can get decent names at a discount right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom