Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Illegal sale of .BIZ Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EroGenius

Had to stop myself from making this comment in someone's thread, but isn't the sale of .BIZ domains SPECIFICALLY prohibited according to Neustar's registration agreements? I mean along with having them for any other non-commercial/profit-related business? I was reserving a one-letter .BIZ the other day, and many WHOIS services don't seem to recognize the 3 letter restriction on .BIZ domains. After some research I ran into the other restrictions again as well.

How do other people read this? I guess risk is risk, but a violation is a violation isn't it?

http://www.neulevel.biz/ardp/docs/reg_restrictions.html

Registering a domain name solely for the purposes of (1) selling, trading or leasing the domain name for compensation, or (2) the unsolicited offering to sell, trade or lease the domain name for compensation shall not constitute a "bona fide business or commercial use" of that domain name.
For illustration purposes, the following shall not constitute a “bona fide business or commercial use” of a domain name:

• Using or intending to use the domain name exclusively for personal, noncommercial purposes; or
  • Using or intending to use the domain name exclusively for the expression of noncommercial ideas (i.e., registering abcsucks.biz exclusively to criticize or otherwise express an opinion on the products or services of ABC company, with no other intended business or commercial purpose).

Thoughts?

~ EG

M

mole

You are correct that it is a risk to sell .biz names actively, based on the restrictions set by the registry.

It's whether Neulevel wants to clamp down or not. Currently, it is difficult to police the situation, and they probably don't want too much publicity on how strict they are. This could scare off speculative registrations.

But direct complaints by the public on a specific name could trigger investigation, so the best thing really is to play it cool. Develop a site around the name, and sell it as a business bundle. It would then be difficult for anyone to say that you bought the name 'solely' for resale.

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I doubt anyone cares about this issue until money is on the table... as in, someone is launching a lawsuit, a cease-and-desist, or someone is making a lot of press clearing snubbing the rules.

W|Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom