Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

I'm getting into Ebay selling.. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c39b7

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm selling my guitar on ebay, and I really had fun creating the listing
design and answering questions I've already gotten tonight.

It's not the best job, but it'd could be a nice addition to my current income.

I'm planning to buy products in a certain niche from Alibaba.com, but I
just don't know which niche to buy for.

I was thinking Sony PSP to start off with, or maybe some cheap jewelry.

Do you have any recommendations on what product to sell?

Domain Days 2024

paulc

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sell anything on Ebay, if you can locate it for a good price, and the competition is not that fierce - just go for it.. There is a lot of competition on PSP's and jewellery though, so unless the price is right, I would search for other goods...

sjaguar13

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I sell guitars and amps on eBay. I get good money and the competition isn't too bad, but I would stay away from electronics and jewelry. Electronics change too quick (I started with them before guitars). The problem is EVERYBODY wants to do electronics and you have to constantly sell. You cannot afford to hold anything without your items loosing value. The more you buy, the more you save comes into play. In order to make it real worthwhile, I have a semi truck backing up to my house. With several thousand invested in guitars and amps (most of which are the same model) I cannot list them all at once (I do this by myself). From what I found out, listing two items at once goes for far less than one item at a time (the items being the same). If there is only one, it seems like there is less of a supply so the buyer will bid higher. Otherwise, they wait for a good deal.

As for the fun of answering questions, you will QUICKLY realize half of eBay is full of morons and idiots. I get stupid questions like "Do you have a better picture? the glare makes it hard to see what kind of wood the guitar is." When in fact the only "glare" is a reflection from the paint and clear coat...there is no exposed wood. Unless I could take an x-ray picture through the paint, I will never be able to get a good picture. I get emails from people who have their own website and I get a list of stuff I should do because he has his own website. Stupid tips about how to take pictures because he has his own website. I never got an email from that guy that didn't start out "I have my own website". I get emails about items being broken, so I tell them to return. Their response? "No, I don't want to".

eBay if pretty good once you find the right supplier, but remember, nothing sells forever. Unless you want to start off big with a reseller's license and bulk wholesale orders, it takes a while to find a good supplier. One of the best ones I had was from a guy who did the exact same thing as me, but did the wholesale thing (before I started doing it). I would buy a lot of stuff off him for a good deal because he couldn't order anything unless he met the minimum (something like $5,000). A few years ago when NJ got hit with really bad rain, he pretty much lost everything and decided not to get back into it. That was a real blow to me, but I eventually found another supplier.

One last tip, you need a supplier that has good customer support. People are going to complain to you and you have to fix it. More than likely, it is either by replacing damaged items, or helping them figure out what to do with it. You need someone that will help fix problems. I got a few things that ended up with missing pieces. I was glad when I got them priority mail two days later.

c39b7

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whoa, thanks for the tips. Sjaguar. I got messages from one of those
extremely "knowledgable" people too. He's pretty annoying and pushy,
like he's much better than I am as a person or something. lol

Do you know anything about Paul Reed Smiths? I've had mine for a long
time and it's got many marks in the clear finish on top of the mahogany,
but otherwise it's in great shape.. perfect frets and neck, great sound, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7369814169&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

It's this one. I'm not that good at taking pics, and I don't have the docs
that came with the guitar. :(

It's kindof vintage from 1995 before they started mass producing them.
This know it all guy said my price was too high.

Also, do you think I should remove the bonus items?

nickb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if i was you i'd find somwere better to host the pictures. it took a minute to load just half of one for me. and by that time i'd have moved onto the next listing.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I were in the market for guitar, I would defiantly consider placing a bid :).

The description and photos are excellent. I especially like how you've detailed and illustrated the damage, which I'm sure many Ebay sellers wouldn't do, at least not in so much detail.

The pictures didn't load slowly for me on a broadband connection.

I hope your hard work pays off you, financially.

- Rob

c39b7

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys! This is my first ever ebay listing, and therefore
I managed to screw it up! :(

I don't know how this happened, but I originally had a BIN of $1997,
and a reserve of the same.

I went shopping this afternoon, and when I came back I had 1 bid
of $255, and the BIN has disappeared from the screen. I tried signing
out to see if that would help, but nope.. BIN is no longer an option
in my listing, and I was shopping while it happened!

Any idea what's going on with my listing? Can I cancel it without
getting in trouble or getting bad feedback? I don't want to just
give away my guitar for a few hundred dollars... I found out today
it's worth thousands.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ummm, thats the point of a reserve action

You can't just cancel an auction because you dont like the price - this will get you banned from Ebay very quickly...

Furthermore, as soon as the first bid is placed the BIN disapears automatically

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JOEMART said:
Yes you can cancel ( end early ) your ebay auction without getting into any trouble at all

....Not exactly

Yes, you can cancel an auction once or twice, but if it becomes a pattern, you will probably get banned.

This is highly unethical - unless you have a valid reason for cancelling your auction (you really did enter the wrong starting bid or the guitar became damaged while the auction was going on.

Don't think you can use that rule to save yourself if your item is selling for too low of a price however.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's called "avoiding fees" and you can get in trouble for it since you technically would be avoiding the fees that you should have paid for setting a reserve.

On a side note, I like how you were careful to point out and show all of the scratches in the guitar. That should help people feel more at ease bidding, knowing what they are getting. There are a lot of people who won't mention stuff like that and people tend to avoid those auctions. The more details you can provide, the better. :)

c39b7

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I think I've been misunderstood by a few of you.
I meant to put a reserve in and I guess I didn't. This is my first ever
e-bay listing and I made some mistakes.

I never knew that the BIN disappeared with the first bid, since I'd always
seen many auctions with BIN available and with many bids. I'm new to
auctions too, so I don't know the standard stuff.

I ended the listing, with the reason of error in reserve price etc.

I'm probably going to list it again soon.

Thanks!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
c39b7, I see you have a warning point next to your name, but it sould have expired. You should fill out a support ticket or PM impactadmin.

c39b7

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's been that way for many months. Any idea why I would have it?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It didn't expire correctly.

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
c39b7 said:
...I'm planning to buy products in a certain niche from Alibaba.com, but I
just don't know which niche to buy for.

I was thinking Sony PSP to start off with, or maybe some cheap jewelry.

Do you have any recommendations on what product to sell?

I used to sell quite a bit on eBay. My suggestion: whatever you're thinking of buying to sell on eBay, check eBay first to see what similar items are selling for. What may seem like a good wholesale price may be higher than the item is currently selling for on eBay. Don't forget to add in all your costs, i.e. shipping, etc.

I would also suggest buying as few as possible of whatever it is you're thinking of selling. At least until you've sold a few. You never know what you may or may not like until then. I once bought a few pallets of toaster ovens, cappucino machines, etc. I found out I hated shipping that stuff. Always looking for boxes... big boxes, and then packing that stuff, taking the boxes to the UPS store. Didn't sound like much until I had to do it. Just wasn't for me. Always handled much smaller items after that.

Just my two cents....

uglypeoople.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
sell items that are hard to find or sold out in stores.

for example: xbox 360 -- it's very hard to find these xbox 360's in stores right now...they are sold out everywhere except on EBAY.

i bought 6 xbox 360's from walmart and best buy and sold them already for over $600 each....and i paid only $300 per xbox360....easy profit.

or just buy cheap stuff from China and sell it on ebay for a easy profit.

whatever you do, good luck!

c39b7

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice work!

You guys all kick ass. I love the freedom to work for myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom