Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

In a recession, ICANN paid at least 16 employees $200K+

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
According to the latest IRS Form 990 that ICANN has released:

http://www.icann.org/en/financials/tax/us/fy-2009-form-990-en.pdf

at least (there might be more, e.g. "consultants", etc.) ICANN staffers were paid $200K+ (see column 9 of page 46). Eight of those pulled in $300K+. At a "non-profit". In a recession! You can compare the numbers to last year at:

http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/ga-200709/msg03017.html

and one can see a huge increase in wasteful spending, and overpaid staff. Compare the top 16 to the prior year's top 5, and there's been an explosion of wasteful spending. It makes one wonder how many other ICANN staff are sitting below these "top 16" with $100K+ salaries, hidden and unaccountable to the public.

Jones Day was paid over $2 million last year (page 67). Compass Lexecon earned $307,165 for their garbage economic reports which had no statistical analysis whatsoever! (also page 67)

It's clear ICANN is living in an alternate universe if they think the above is acceptable or sound. It demonstrates their lack of accountability to be able to feed at the trough, at the expense of the public who pays all the bills. The need for serious cutbacks and slashing of this wasteful spending is obvious, unless you are drinking the ICANN Kool-Aid.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Laughing all the way to the bank

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can name some other "not for profit" organizations that do the same thing. its nothing now - they hide under that tax umbrella so they can keep more $$$ to pay themselves nice salaries.

DNWizardX9

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That sucks.... Too bad nobody investigates the matter..

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That sucks.... Too bad nobody investigates the matter..

Because technically what they're doing is legal. Even though they are "not for profit" they are still entitled to wages and if they can show people in similar positions make a certain amount they can get that much.

If it means raising fees that we have to pay to make their salaries, then they can do that.

Sad, but true.

WebMaster

Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I bet the money from silent sales. No free hundreds of thousands dollars for only that.
They just so calling. Its same corruption level in ICANN, but they paying it public and calling different .
They paying for the right peoples just over other hands to be done one or another thing. Etc; approved and so on. You can call as you want.
I am sure if someone who are member in this forum will offer same services and even cheaper, he will not be let in this deal, because the reasons is obvious for some group of peoples in domaining section.

How you think, who approved rising prices ?
Think twice, google it, and you will know for who these sums been paid.

I think ICANN even better will be in Red Cross hands (joking) .

Last edited:

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
they pay out large salaries as one way to avoid "being profitable"

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want my money back !

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
idea: what kind of domain market would there be if regging a domain was really just like a buck?
too bad smart money people couldn't wring those dollars into some kind o super profitable registrar business model.
Icann could revitalize the business and re-invest domainer dollars back where they belong.

Domainator

DotAgent
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
idea: what kind of domain market would there be if regging a domain was really just like a buck?
too bad smart money people couldn't wring those dollars into some kind o super profitable registrar business model.
Icann could revitalize the business and re-invest domainer dollars back where they belong.

In your dreams....

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i personally think domain names are too cheap, ICANN should bump prices to at least $100 per registration, i don't care who the profit goes to, as long as some of it is invested back in the domaining infrastructure...

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd like to tell you all about a well known entity here in the USA that is considered a "not for profit" organization that is also an "oversight" entity.

To the untrained / uneducated eye they seem like they're trying to do the right thing and help everyone but to those in the know see a different story.

While they preach against an unethical aspect of their industry and put up the face of ethics, behind their back their raking in millions of dollars from unethical usage and also help assisting these unethical people do their unethical thing.

They complain that the government doesn't do enough to regulate these unethical people but don't use a penny of their money to help it (and why would they, they're raking in the money from them).

They raise their fees with no apparent need with growing demand of their services. Plus, if you don't pay their fees then it can be very hard to do business in their industry. Their high ups get rich off of their supporter's hard work and their supporters continue to support them because of their love for the industry.

If you rub shoulders with them they'll protect you as much as they can and ignore any wrong doing but say anything bad about them they'll do whatever they can to shun and discredit you.

Their "executives" get paid a lot of money to go around and talk to people about the organization and no one minds because they help put out a few big shows every year. People cheer them when they make a tiny donation to true non-profit organizations and charities yet again, behind their backs hand tons more money to the unethical aspect of the industry. They act very elitist and that no one else in the world has it right except them and if they don't conform to their policies then they're not allowed to take part. They even try to force their way over jurisdictions that they have no authority over.

Who could I be talking about? The one and only American Kennel Club.

Domainator

DotAgent
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i personally think domain names are too cheap, ICANN should bump prices to at least $100 per registration, i don't care who the profit goes to, as long as some of it is invested back in the domaining infrastructure...

Are you nucking futz? Sober up and re-post in the morning will ya....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom