Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Inactive/unused domains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already. I did a few searches but couldn't come up with anything relevant.

Is there any way to go after a domain that has been registered for over 10 years but never used?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only if you have a trademark.
And especially if the trademark is older than the domain.
But again you will not have much luck if the domain is generic.

Vinternatt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is a choice of domain owner to use it or not. You can't do anything special for that domain. Just try to contact them and purchase it. Or monitor the domain and if owner doesn't renew it try to backorder it etc.

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, that's not what I mean, but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Give the lad a chance the opportunity to clarify what he means fellas

Let him tell his story

I will be happy to advise, if you want to PM me

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What is your definition of use?

There is no need for an active web site. He might be using it for email, or to protect their own brand etc.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You'll find that many top companies own generic .coms and .nets but don't use them or redirect to their own websites, which I find quite absurd and stupid. Amazon, for instance, is one of the biggest holder of generic names that are lying unused.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An owner might own the domain and as explained above may not make 'direct use' of it. But do not forget that by that company owning it prevents a competitor from owning it, and that an give a massive commercial advantage to the owner without them spending a single penny or cent developing and maintaining the domain.

Amazon own huge numbers of domains (as pointed out above), and they do not do that because they are collectors (watch out for Amazon sweeps of your names by the way - their 'research unit' one in South Africa I have noticed is pretty determined at searching certain domains.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to go after a domain that has been registered for over 10 years but never used?

No trademark and proving it's being infringed or so, no enforceable rights.

Besides, would you like someone to go after something you possess that you
don't seem to be using according to their definition? It's only fair it goes both
ways, don't you think?

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes Dave, you make a good point, but at least park them, or do something with them. They're registered at NetSol FFS!

I'm just a bit frustrated. I've got an idea for what would seem like a silly business venture to most of you (like DogPoo.com perhaps), but one that I think could do well. However, someone beat me to the punch... over 10 years ago.

The someone seems like a soccer mom from Ohio, who's active in her community. Certainly not a domainer. As fas as I can tell, she owns the two domains in question, and a one other that is her so called "media" company. None of which have been developed in over 10 years.

I tried contacting her to see if she was willing to sell, and after a second email, she got back to me to say they'd thought about it, but weren't interested.

I asked her what her intentions were, if she would be interested in a joint development deal (clearly, after 10 years, she hasn't got the know how to make her idea a reality) and I pointed out to her that she could save money by moving to another registrar, and perhaps she should have the domains parked somewhere to monetize on them. I also said if she were to change her mind, to please get in contact with me.

I didn't hear back. She probably thinks I'm crazy. She's probably right.

I don't want to "steal" her domains from her. I was just testing the waters here to see if anyone had a gem that might be helpful.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from, Fatbat. Just note that unless you and
the other party have maybe some kind of agreement, they do not owe you a
thing whatsoever.

At least the registrant replied, maybe out of courtesy, that they are not at all
interested in selling it. You can finally explore other available options.

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The someone seems like a soccer mom from Ohio, who's active in her community. Certainly not a domainer.
Throw a big number at her and see what kind of reaction you get. Maybe try 60% of the absolute max you'd be willing to pay. If it's worth 50k to you, try like $30k which could be a lot to a 'soccer mom'. If there's no budge, might as well try your max offer as well.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd say try to give her a call.

I would vote against that. The owner of the domain responded to his email and didn't want to sell, hounding her over the phone wouldn't be a good idea or the OP could be looking at a harassment suit.

You did what you could do, I'd say try to find another domain.

And if you need a supply of dog poo, let me know, we have several dogs. :lol:

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. File under "general" I guess.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the domain unused or is there no website on it? A domain has more uses than to name a website. You can use it as an email domain, to host a Jabber server or maybe to create public hostnames for your database servers. There are many ways to use a domain name without putting up a website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom