Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.info geo site

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmp

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feed back on .info development. I have a .info geo name that is a popular city and vacation area with a population of over 150K. Is it worth putting in the time and money to create a decent website for the name? Im not talking about a one page lander, but a nice interactive site that would be useful for businesses and the community. Can developed .info geo sites become valuable? I would not want to waste time and money on something that would not profit well. I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had experience in this niche. Thanks

KMP

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The famous example is Spain.info. You will however struggle in the first year, as many .info's are simply registered to exploit the cheap price and use it for black hat seo, 99% of these domains are dropped in the second year, so logically there would be less disadvantages compared to .com from the second year on. Personally I think .info fits GEO domains very well.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Is it worth the time and money?"

Wordpress - FREE
Wordpress Template - FREE (either a free one or if you have a program like Artisteer (which is $150?)
Hosting - as low as $60 a year

Right there you have a site up for $60 + ref fee for a year. $120 + 2X reg fee if you want to start to get into the "advantage"period (like tetrapak mentioned).

Add an article every Wed or Thurs about what's going on the next week in that city (festivals, holidays, parades, etc.). Add in some AdSense links and maybe some affiliate links to travel agencies or hotels in the area.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The famous example is Spain.info. You will however struggle in the first year, as many .info's are simply registered to exploit the cheap price and use it for black hat seo

Nonsense. You will struggle with ANY extension in the 1st year because it's a competitive space and your site is not established. It has nothing to do with having a .info domain name.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that you will struggle with any extension, but especially with .info, and the reason is the cheap registration price.

"(vi) Content on .info domain continues to be a problem. 99.75% of all blogs hosted on these domains are spam. In other words 1.65 Million blogs were spam as opposed to only around 4K authentic blogs! As long these domains are cheap and keyword rich this trend is likely to continue. Sploggers are also exploiting private domain registration services"

http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/blogger/2007/02/01/pings-spings-splogs-and-the-splogosphere-2007-updates/

Yes, it's from 2007, but the pricing didn't change much since then.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, the problem is it's a new site. I just laugh when people say their new site is sandboxed, like it's their right to rank #1 in search engines.

Last edited:

kmp

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Is it worth the time and money?"

Wordpress - FREE
Wordpress Template - FREE (either a free one or if you have a program like Artisteer (which is $150?)
Hosting - as low as $60 a year

Right there you have a site up for $60 + ref fee for a year. $120 + 2X reg fee if you want to start to get into the "advantage"period (like tetrapak mentioned).

Add an article every Wed or Thurs about what's going on the next week in that city (festivals, holidays, parades, etc.). Add in some AdSense links and maybe some affiliate links to travel agencies or hotels in the area.

Thanks for the feedback Draggar. I realize I can use wordpress or some other free program to create the site. The problem is I dont have much experience on the development end. Is it possible to create a site on my own with no experience that people will take seriously. I have money Im willing to invest in a developer if its worth the risk. Or should I just stay away from developing .infos and wait for the .com to come along? Thanks again.

KMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom