Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.INFO passes .ORG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JumpingJack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are now more .INFO names registered than .ORG names

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats what happens when you give them out for free. Maybe we should wait and see what happens next year.

Its funny though. There are a few .info's I picked up for free and would never have registered. I'll probably end up renewing them next year.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a percentage of the info's will be renewed next year.

I really can not come up with a estimated percentage until this
summer. It all depends on what happens over the next 6 months.

Some of the things that could effect info renewals.

If .biz comes up with their own promotion.
If those .info domains get any traffic.
If a major company starts aggressively promoting their .info domain.
If companies with a Trademark goes after the owner of the .info. thru URDP
If Icann announces that no more TLD's will be released for two more years.
If a major TV show announces that you can log in live at TVShow.info
If Afilias comes up with another promotion next summer (renew for 3 yrs, get the 4th free).
If Afilias gives out free T-shirts (or phone cards) with each renewal.
If Afilias offers their registrars 50% profit on renewals for all domains originally registered between 7-04 & 12-04.
If the prices for info domains in the secondary market goes up.
If a particular .info domain sells for $ 1 million.
If President Bush accidently says to visit the White House site at USWhiteHouse.info

Those are just a couple things that could effect renewals.

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i register some .info due to the free promo. Most likely i will renew them.
Afilias succeed in their tricks on me :(

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .info giveaway certainly caused a spike in .info registrations.

It will be very interesting to see how many people do not renew their free names.

Time will tell.

JumpingJack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how they did it. You register some crappy .info name just for the hell of it, then a year later, 3 million other people have done the same thing and all of a sudden your name seems a bit rare. So you renew. Smart bastards.

But what's this I saw about enom offering .INFO renewals at like $2 for all of 2005? That's their standard price?

NameRegistration

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JumpingJack said:
It's interesting how they did it. You register some crappy .info name just for the hell of it, then a year later, 3 million other people have done the same thing and all of a sudden your name seems a bit rare. So you renew. Smart bastards.

But what's this I saw about enom offering .INFO renewals at like $2 for all of 2005? That's their standard price?

The only flaw is that most of these domains are in the hands of speculators who won’t develop the domain. When someone looks for a domain to develop and find the .info extension taken they’ll probably buy another extension better than buying it in the second-hand market.

actnow said:
Site,

Then, why don't you sell them instead of letting them drop?

They are for sale at sedo :eek:k:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I like .info for informational and historical sites. I prefer .org though. The 800,000+ registrations made by Sipence on behalf of the owners of the .com added to an inflated .info number. The .org is very appealing and undervalued.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone recieved the price reduction at eNom? Mine is still at the same price it was last month.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
What price reduction LOL. Does it affect ETP's only or resellers also?

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It says "All other resellers will receive a $5 price drop (from the .com price) on .INFO registrations."

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Brinkle.com said:
It says "All other resellers will receive a $5 price drop (from the .com price) on .INFO registrations."

Hmm. I received a $3 price drop to $4.50. Now if only I had any new .info's to register....

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's been $3 for awhile I'm looking for the $5 because I have some to register :-D I sent them an email to find out if their statement holds true.

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
new .info registration at directi at $1.11
now if only the .info renewal rate at enom is cheap, i will move all .info there.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it's all smoke and mirrors ... they more than doubled their registrations with the giveaway and i think they'll fall way back next year, but who really knows someone new to the net sees the high number of .infos registered and thinks this must be the way to go?

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think all TLD's or most has some value. Not these new ones like .jobs or .mobi but .info can be very useful in helping segment the market and allow users the ability to market their product (s) better based on the TLD. I have a great .info domain name, it's 401krollover.info. I plan on developing the site to contain information on how 401krollovers work. It's INFORMATION, hence the .info, seems to fit better than a .com even. I think in the future we will see more of this. Some businesses will fit better with a different TLD. Dot Com may always be king becuase of it's maturity within the market but trust me there is room for all of the TLD's.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
acronym007 said:
I think all TLD's or most has some value. Not these new ones like .jobs or .mobi but .info can be very useful in helping segment the market and allow users the ability to market their product (s) better based on the TLD. I have a great .info domain name, it's 401krollover.info. I plan on developing the site to contain information on how 401krollovers work. It's INFORMATION, hence the .info, seems to fit better than a .com even. I think in the future we will see more of this. Some businesses will fit better with a different TLD. Dot Com may always be king becuase of it's maturity within the market but trust me there is room for all of the TLD's.

i agree each extension has domains that work really well with them and if the domain is realated to informational/places topics then .info will work perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom