Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Information.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georged

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guys, let me share info about Hostgator.
My addon domains which I`ve deleted from Hostgator are redirecting to information.com. Of course without warning me about that. So here is my conversation with live support of Hostgator.

<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:37:21 PM) Benjamin Da: has entered the chat.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:37:22 PM) Benjamin Da: Hello, welcome to Hostgator Live Chat.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:37:25 PM) Benjamin Da: How may I assist you today?<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:37:35 PM) Heorhii: hi<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:37:50 PM) Heorhii: I have added today addon domain and then deleted it<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:38:22 PM) Heorhii: but now it redirect my website to information.com<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:39:34 PM) Heorhii: Benjamin?<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:39:58 PM) Benjamin Da: YEs, Heorhi.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:40:18 PM) Benjamin Da: So you deleted the addon domain, and now it's directing to a searchportal?<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:40:30 PM) Heorhii: yes<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:40:37 PM) Heorhii: *****.com<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:41:13 PM) Heorhii: and also i deleted *****.com<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:41:17 PM) Heorhii: the same thing<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:41:35 PM) Benjamin Da: OK, where do you want the deleted addon domains to go?<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:44:05 PM) Heorhii: to sedoparking. I`ve already changed nameservers to sedo.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:44:29 PM) Benjamin Da: Well, it will take 24-48 hours for nameserver changes to propogate.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:44:34 PM) Benjamin Da: So you will have to wait.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:45:45 PM) Benjamin Da: Is there anything else I can help you with today?<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:46:44 PM) Heorhii: but why they are redirect to informmation?<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:46:48 PM) Heorhii: information.com<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:47:20 PM) Benjamin Da: Because when you delete an addon domain there's no place for it to go, and it gets redirected to a search portal.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:48:19 PM) Heorhii: )))))and you make money on that. On my traffic.....<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:49:11 PM) Benjamin Da: Actually, the money for that is set up to go to charity.<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:50:00 PM) Heorhii: of course!!! ok. Thanks for all your answers!<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:50:05 PM) Benjamin Da: You're welcome!<table style="height: 6px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>(8:50:08 PM) Benjamin Da: Thank you for using HostGator Live Chat.

==============================================
May be it will be useful for somebody.

Be honest I do not think that this is honest.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Be glad they don't make money from the CO2 you exhale.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They have probably this as DEFAULT, each hoster must gets lots of "lost" traffic, it would actually require lots of detective work from them to detect where from and why is this traffic comming. Anyway in this age DNS propagate worldide in few minutes except some crappy ISP's

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hostgator makes cash on your 404's too....unless you call them on it.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you can set 404 in Cpanel for every domain, but sure to make it default is dirty trick. But Hostgator is joke anyway, so no surprise here.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
God forbid anyone else makes money...lol like that makes them much money anyways lol

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't need to call them on it.
All you have to do is create "404 redirect".

1. create file named "404.shtml" and put it on your default folder, usually "public_html".
2. put "Errordocument 404 /404.shtml" in the .htaccess file without quote.

code for 404.shtml below...
Well, I would like to show you 404 redirect code here, but, code tag do not seem to work for some reason.

Last edited:

democrat

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
well they can't say its going somewhere it's not but then again... its a corporation and anyone can lie then

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Seeing that this information is public, I have taken the liberties of posting this on another forum with its own issues with hostgator:

< link removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

VanguardDomain

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Charity seems like a reasonable way to go. If they actually do it.
Just feel good that you are inadvertantly assisting the needy.

Neil

stewmath

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it goes to what they call the Executive Bonus Charity :p

Arrogance

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Get them to send a receipt, then write it off on your taxes :cool:

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My addon domains which I`ve deleted from Hostgator are redirecting to information.com.

you have several options:

A, do not delete them (add them again)
just point them to an empty page or directory

B, change name servers
and they will not be able to do it anymore

if you use their name servers and delete the domains, it is actually
lame delegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom