Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Inquiry on the process of domain registration & parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd like to start my a small business, with a website in the plans. However, I'm nowhere near my budget for upstart. So I have two questions;

1) I'd like to purchase my domain, but at the same time, purchase a variation and don't want to pay a big fee for both. (For instance, dnforum.com and ***************.com) I've only really shopped my services with register.com --- but is there any other good, reliable hosting sites that don't charge much for domain registration's? (They'll be a dotcom, by the way.)

2) I hear that some sites generate revenue just parking the site; and in a perfect world, I'll just park it as a small network site for other sites in the same field until I can set my pages up and do what I want; but how is it possible to park my domain and still make money off of it? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You will get 5 different opinions where to reg a name, but after you reg it just sign up with one of the parking companies sedo excepts 1 name and if you checkout ppcincome.com they have a list of others. you then just list your name with the parking company and at your registrar either change the dns (domain name server) to the parking companies or use url forwarding, they give you the correct dns on there site. each company is different although most allow you to input keywords that relate to your domain.PS: you dont have to reg and host a name with the same company, many here use godaddy

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
^ That helped. But your info raises the question, is it a necessity to even park my site? Or can I open Photoshop, do a simple splash, and the host won't bother?

Or is that the purpose of parking? (To generate revenue/commissions) I hate to be so dumb to this process, I'd just like to make this experience right the first time.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I cant help you there all i do is park, for income thats all i no
good luck

4domains.com

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sounds like a good question. It seems like you're looking for two things. A place to register some names that gives you free parking, but then also a possible way of generating some limited income by having some sort of splash page or something similar for the domain until you start using it for your own site.

For getting a domain name or two I'd just try to find a registrar you're comfortable with and stick with them. Pricing is important but having a good registrar that is available and doesn't try to upsell you every chance they get is nice as well.

As for the second part, I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding it correctly as to what you want. A number of registrars have various features that come with a domain registration, so if you want to avoid a hosting fee the registrar you choose will play a part.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
heirJORDAN said:
Well, I'd like to start my a small business, with a website in the plans. However, I'm nowhere near my budget for upstart. So I have two questions;

1) I'd like to purchase my domain, but at the same time, purchase a variation and don't want to pay a big fee for both. (For instance, dnforum.com and ***************.com) I've only really shopped my services with register.com --- but is there any other good, reliable hosting sites that don't charge much for domain registration's? (They'll be a dotcom, by the way.)

2) I hear that some sites generate revenue just parking the site; and in a perfect world, I'll just park it as a small network site for other sites in the same field until I can set my pages up and do what I want; but how is it possible to park my domain and still make money off of it? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi

Find yourself a registrar that has a domain reseller program.

like....

enom.com
moniker.com
fabulous.com
domainsite.com
namecheap.com
dotster.com

and even godaddy (i hate them) but pricing is cheaper than register.com

there are others, read around.

Good Luck!

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help thus far.

I've sort of decided to go with godaddy, seeing as they seem to be the cheapest of the big boy's, as well as the most reliable for the low start-up pricing groups. But can I rely on them to not try to bully me out of the name should I groom the site into a healthy commodity? I haven't heard specifics, but just researching the past day or so, I've heard some horror stories of registrars having some sort of ownership if you don't register the name for yourself. Not verbatim, but again, I'm just trying to protect myself from headaches.

Thanks again.

Malaysia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you are new just use the simple few
godaddy.com for domain registrations and
namedrive for domain parking..
i am using both right now n have to say i am happy wif it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom