Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Interesting info on a domain sale I thought I'd share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had snapped up a domain name e.g. GeoPaving.com (not actual domain). with the intent of flipping it quickly.

There were several end users (some small companies, some organizations, and a large company).

After some time, I fashioned an email similar to one that Elliot Silver had posted on his blog for use with end users.

I had the email set up from the actual domain (e.g. [email protected]). I included what I thought was a reasonable price and hoped for a bite.

I didn't get anything. I was disappointed but I placed the domain for sale and left it alone. I knew the domain still had value.

A voicemail was left with me last week (over a year since I acquired the name), from an employee at the large company that was interested in acquiring the domain.

We agreed on the price that was initially quoted and the domain was transferred and pushed today (I'm waiting for them to release the funds with Escrow.com to me).

I learned a few lessons I thought people may find useful:

• Include your phone number when reaching out to end users, you never know if they will call you back
  • If you use an email set up at your domain don't cancel it immediately if you get no replies.
  • A big debate on whether to include a figure on the first email. Perhaps I would not do this again or I would indicate a date by which the offer then expires (and you are free to negotiate).

I may have left some money on the table on this one, but I did get a good ROI for a domain I wasn't particularly interested in developing.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. By no means am I super successful at domaining, but I'm always open to learning more about this industry.

Skinny

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats skinny. What was the selling price? Thanks for sharing your sales experience.

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was on the high end of $XXX. Nothing massive, but a profitable flip nonetheless.

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The phone number helps big time!

Many sales I have done [probably over 50% of them] have resulted from someone calling.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a toll-free number for buyers to call back :D

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How much does a toll free number cost?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many sales I have done [probably over 50% of them] have resulted from someone calling.

for me, about 70% are from incoming calls and that's why i don't use domain privacy.

Congrats on the sale, Skinny!

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Going to look into evoice.

I don't understand why anyone would want to add privacy (especially if you are using a 1800 number) if you are interested in making a sale.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is another toll-free option that may be appealing if you are not expecting a lot of volume up front: https://www.unitelvoice.com/get-a-1800-number.php

It is funny that you wrote this today. There were recently two domains I liked equally for one of my development projects. I emailed both of the owners, but only heard back from one. We had been going back and forth on the details, and I was on the verge of closing a very significant (five figures) transaction. Then, on a whim I decided to take another whack at the first one (the one who didn't respond). The domain had privacy on it, but I went to the wayback machine and found a phone number that had been posted on the site in the past. I called, had a very nice chat with the owner, and he sold it to me for 1/3 of what I almost dropped on the other one.

Moral of the story? Don't be afraid to use the phone. It is how business has been done for a century, and a couple decades of email & texting are not enough to render it obsolete.

Last edited:

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My first big sale was through the phone. It was to the owner of the Boarders bookstore chain and was surprised he called me directly. But as 2 business men, we BSed for a little bit then got down to negotiations. Hence as Jack Gordon said above -
Don't be afraid to use the phone. It is how business has been done for a century

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom