Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Interesting point about non .com domains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Recently I owned and purchased program.net. Paid and Sold for practically the same price.

I could not understand why the name was not selling so well since the .com's sold for well into the ##### i'm told..

but it suddenly hit me.

Why are .net, .org, .info names worth anything?

ANY name is worth the same unless it has some sort of traffic or branding power..

ie. a name like CreativeMedia.com (owned by toho) is worth a lot as it simply flows, is relevant, has branding power, etc.

or.. traffic like a mispell 36936OVT for yaho.com makes it worth a lot...

but why do we buy these other names..? Why did I think that program.net was worth $3000 with it's 20-30 uniques a day?

for branding purposes, I would only use a .com unless it was a relevant extension maybe that was out of the ordinary ie. shut.up if that domain existed..

Why do people continue to buy .ws, .cc, .st, and those extensions...

UNLESS you are using one of these .net or .org names for branding or search engines I don't see the value in them!

Lets see what others have to think on this..

- Jordan

M

mole

Originally posted by NameTower
but why do we buy these other names..? Why did I think that program.net was worth $3000 with it's 20-30 uniques a day?

Have you ever tried to get a 5 star generic name on the .COM namespace like media.com? Not everyone has $20,000 - $100,000 to roll for a SINGLE name that may not find a buyer ever again at that price or even less.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Recently I owned and purchased program.net. Paid and Sold for practically the same price.

It's all depend on negotiation, sale pitch, promotion, etc. If you hold on to it long enough, you might get bigger dollar.

I bought a .net and $3500 and sold at $8000. It took about 8 months to find a right buyer.

Anyway, during 8 months I earned $100 - $150 / month in affiliate program.

.biz

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I could not understand why the name was not selling so well since the .com's sold for well into the ##### i'm told..

You bought and sold the name within a month. Sometimes it takes years to find a retail buyer at the price you want. It's not magic. It's an investment. You have to have patience.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GiantDomains

You bought and sold the name within a month. Sometimes it takes years to find a retail buyer at the price you want. It's not magic. It's an investment. You have to have patience.

Agreed.

Maybe you oughtta tell this to Bob :-D

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
twas not the point i was meaning to focus on..

why is a .net with 30 uniques a day worth $3000?

yes people may pay for a .net but why are they paying for that.

for branding purposes i say a .com is the only way to go..

Source

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jordan... I think you are on to something, but I'd like to help clarify the point.

First, end users buy names to build their internet presence and brand awareness. That said, historically 80% (conservative estimate) of the companies / entities currently doing business on the web equate brand with .com. The value of these names to the specific business entity is enormous. This is shown by BIG dollar buys for new names and fierce brand defense via WIPO cases.

Second, type-in traffic is 99% based in generic keywords and .coms. Perhaps some .nets and .orgs also, but generally all .coms. The value here is in human behavior. People inherently are lazy. Often too lazy for a even a google search. Hence type-ins. As we all know, today, .com keyword generics (with high OT numbers) are worth their weight in Gold. That said, then why do people buy a 'fair' keyword like program.net for $3K. Instinctively, they're banking on the future.

Third, search engines make the picture even cloudier. Most search engines love keywords and as we all know, they impact greatly in a sites placement or ranking. Hence, all the more reason to hold on to your generic keywords, the value will surely increase over time.

As more and more people become netizens of the internet, the value of these generics will rise as will awareness of .net, .org, .biz, .info, .tv, .ws, .cc, .st and all the other cctlds.

IMHO from a reseller perspective, superior generics (100K+ OT) in virtually any extension will become more and more sought after as time progresses.

Net-net: gather now, hold, sell later.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's not necessarily the extension, but the keyword itself and how large the market is for that keyword. I'd venture a guess that you could get a large amount quickly for something like hosting.net as compared to some other keywords like maybe JetEngines.net. My reasoning is as follows:

• hosting.net fits with the .net domain very well.
  • The web hosting market is relatively easy to get started in as a reseller.
  • There is room in the market for MANY players in this industry.
  • There are lots of potential buyers, and this keyword would be very valuable to them. being the .net to another .com would not significantly hurt their business.
  • The keyword alone would also be valuable to a branded name as a pointed keyword domain.
  • High demand = high prices
Alternately:
  • JetEngine industry is very small with only a few large players.
  • Average person can't get started themselves as in the Jet industry.
  • Fewer potential buyers = less chance of selling quick, but maybe at high price if held long enough.
  • Jet Engine companies want to be the .com or would otherwise use a branded name (they can afford to market the brand).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom