Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Investing for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

discdrome

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IDN for a pension?

The more I think about pensions and domain names, the more convinced I am that investing in domain names offers a good investment for the future. As a suppliment or even replacment to some more main stream forms of providing for the future.

Pension.

For the young members who have not even thought about the future, the way pensions work in a nut shell is like this. You pay $xx-xxx per month to an investment company who invest your money mainly in the stock markets, over a period of 20-30 years you should have a six figure sum in which to use to retire on. Now here in the UK you can take 25% as a cash free lump sum, and the rest has to buy an annuity. An annuity is like a bet, you are betting with the insurance company that you will live a long life, they are betting that you wont. Let’s say your annuity costs $300,000 that may buy for a $18,000 annual income until you die. On death your spouse may get a reduced pension, but once you are both gone the annuity is closed and the deal is over.

I know everyone says pensions are important, but the thing I don’t like is those 20-30 years savings are gone after you die, your kids get nothing.

IDN

Now if I spend the next 20 years building a portfolio of domain names which earn revenue, I have an income. Also when I eventually do pop my clogs, domain names are passed to my kids as an asset. Therefore my 20-30 years saving don’t go up in smoke with me!

I only currently own 3 top quality domains, but these do give me an income of £5,000 - £10,000, as I see it this is a very good start to a worry free future. Lots of people here in the UK buy a second property, on a buy to let mortgage as a way of investing for the future.

For me, I still have a pension, but I am focusing more energy and resources on finding revenue domain names to hold for the long term.

Does raise an interesting question though, do IDN value get included in an esate value, now theres a thought!! Could we end up paying death duty on value of domains, I guess we could...

Domain Days 2024

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steve,

The acronym "IDN" generally refers to International(ised) Domain Names. I'm assuming you mean investment domains. Some interesting comments you make there. Take care about assuming that your kids will inherit your domain names. Give your solicitor your passwords for the registrars so that they are recorded in your will! Domain name registrars won't recognise your beneficiaries without working email and passwords!

A good accountant should be able to minimise tax liabilities. There are many ways to do this -- you might want to search the forum. Try the keyword "offshore" for starters -- that should keep you busy ;-)

T

tekz999

Good thought. But the best thought is to pass on your experience and knowledge, and let them invest in their future.

DomainLobe

Internet Ventures
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
discdrome said:
IDN for a pension?

The more I think about pensions and domain names, the more convinced I am that investing in domain names offers a good investment for the future. As a suppliment or even replacment to some more main stream forms of providing for the future.

I know everyone says pensions are important, but the thing I don’t like is those 20-30 years savings are gone after you die, your kids get nothing.

For me, I still have a pension, but I am focusing more energy and resources on finding revenue domain names to hold for the long term.

I agree with your long-term investment viewpoint.
I do not have a pension and need to create and manage my own financial future.
Right now, my thoughts are that domain investment could supplement more conventional investments- stocks, bonds, real property. I hope in the future this vehicle provides a substantial portion of my retirement income.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
very interesting thoughts being raised here. But I would like to know just out of curiosity (though it might sound a bit morbid) whether anybody (domainer) has ever left a portfolio of gems lying somewhere in the internet either through insanity or other natural causes (death). In such a case, who usually become the beneficiaries?

discdrome

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes sorry I keep doing that, in my post IDN = Internet Domain Name, I hate TLA's :)

Some other good points raised its a very interesting area, and yes I think if you pass usernames passwords onto the kids they will probably be OK.

It makes you wonder, without being to morbid, perhaps some of those thousands of domains that expire everyday could have been in hands of somebody who meet a timely or un-timley end.

In UK death tax I think is set at around £250k, so if you had some very valuable names, you may not tell the tax man :) wonder how long before they start including names as real valuabe assets.

NameMatters

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is there no legal way to pass on these 'domain name assets' to our kids? other than passing on user names and passwords??

Like can we have 'Domain name will' or something?

thanks,

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this post is about IDN Domains or not but with close to 600 generic Japanese domains I keep thinking I want go give a few each to my nephews & neices.

The only problem is I am 100% sure that no one understands the value, no matter how much I explain & the domains will end up getting dropped...

NameMatters

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameMatters said:
Is there no legal way to pass on these 'domain name assets' to our kids? other than passing on user names and passwords??

Like can we have 'Domain name will' or something?

thanks,

Hi guys,

Can any one answer this?

thanks,

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't you incorporate and pass the company shares down? Or can you even pass them down as a personal asset/property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom