Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

iPad vs iPhone - which one should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering buying an ipad or two iphones.
For those of you that already own them, which would you suggest we purchase first?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The pad seems like a good compact laptop on the go, but you cant call on it.

The phone seems very versital and portable, but its harder to browse with it.

I like them both, but own neither....... yet.

I will likely get them both for different reasons when my current expires.

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Droid RAZR ;)

But if you really want an Apple product, I guess it depends what you are going to use it for. Are you using it for the phone, or just as a sort of "mini-tablet"?

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Our main objective is to be able to access the Internet when away from home. Camera/video, games and apps are a bonus. With the phones, we would both have one, but it would cost us more monthly. Regarding the ipad, I see 2 GB plans (bandwidth), but that doesn't sound like a lot?

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The iphone gets awful expensive by the time you add voice/unlimited messaging/data.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is true. I would be setting up with Verison in my area, a little more discount with a family plan.

If I had to choose only one, I would be picking the iphone mainly cause I do alot of travelling, and it has a pretty decent camera in it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
iPad is an awesome product.

But rather than go with proprietary items (any Apple related MUST be downloaded via iTunes), seriously look at the Android products (and tablets).

Decide exactly what functionality you need.

For instance, I have the Google Nexus One. This phone is a gem. Expandable memory, spoken directions, etc. Most of all, it becomes a portable hotspot (no additional charges). With that, there is no need for me to own a tablet that must be 3g or 4g (added fees). Instead, I can use tablets devices that are simply WiFi enabled. And those devices connect to the web via my phone no matter where I am. If I can get a signal, I can get on the internet.

That feature alone is going to save you additional upfront charges of about $100-$200 bucks for each tablet because you do not need to purchase the 3g/4g capability. Plus, you are saving an additional $50+ per month, PER TABLET, in subscription internet fees.

So, where does that leave you? Compare, compare, compare. I have the iPad and the ASUS eee Transformer. My pick between the two is the ASUS, without a doubt. Faster processor, Android, expandable memory, SD and MicroSD card slots, much clearer screen, and just a joy to use.

To satisfy both of you, perhaps a sweet Android powerhouse smartphone and an Android tablet. If it is reading books or surfing the web, both will do nicely (as well the iPad/iPhone combo). But the front end and back cost savings over paying upfront upcharges for internet connectability along with a monthly subscription (for both) can be easily in excess of a thousand bucks a year.

Above all, do your shopping intel on cnet.com. Compare prices, specs, reliability, and so on. You will get editorial reviews. More importantly, actual user reviews.

I am partial to ASUS tablets (stay away from toshiba, Sony, Acer or others...there are many Android update issues). ASUS has the slider tablet (with a qwerty keyboard - kind of lame) and an all new Transformer Prime with quad core processors and Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS. The 32gb is $499 which is really all you need since it is expandable. Plus a pretty decent 8mp camera on back for stills and video, and front facing camera as well.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Doc, that's the post of the year :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, that's the post of the year :)
Thanks. Not only do I like to be informed, owning the devices gives me a true side by side comparison. Right now, the ASUS transformer with optional docking station/keyboard is the only tablet/laptop I carry and will use in school. The one thing that will take me back to the iPad is when the iPen comes out (early 2012). Then its note taking just like writing and storage on the iPad. That would be an incredible tool for lectures, meetings, and so on.

Most importantly, these closed systems (Apple iTunes) lock you in. Its pay for the extra 3g/4g capability up front. Then charge you an additional 30 or 50 bucks to connect. I like keeping things simple. I am willing to pay good money for good products but not willing to pay additional money for shitty or spotty service. With AT&T, that is what you get.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I fully agree and thanks for the honest comparison. Most users become fans of product A or B and stick to it regardless of any flaws or pitfalls. I saw that the Transformer Prime - that currently raised a tm issue with Hasbro, believe it or not - looks like kick-ass.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details compaison, Gerry. I guess I need to take the blinders off and see what else is out there before committing. A smartphone that acts as a wi-fi hotspot would be ideal. I'll jump on Verizon's page and see what I can learn.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the details compaison, Gerry. I guess I need to take the blinders off and see what else is out there before committing. A smartphone that acts as a wi-fi hotspot would be ideal. I'll jump on Verizon's page and see what I can learn.
Perhaps even T-mobile.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

I saw that the Transformer Prime - that currently raised a tm issue with Hasbro, believe it or not - looks like kick-ass.
Ooo...that's right. I forgot all about that. But, it does look Kick Ass, just like Prime Transformer.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

If you are not having any luck, you can always get a brand new Google Nexus One on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/HTC-Google-...3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5952&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Before additional nexus phones came out, these were going for nearly 500 bucks each. Some advantages are being unlocked and you can use any carrier. There are not many out there that are hotspot capable. Even those that are will charge you a separate surcharge.

Right now, the only combination I am aware of that is NO surcharge is T-Mobile service and the Google Nexus One.

Otherwise, expect to pay 40 to 50 bucks a months for a wifi hotspot.

bfstay

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have both and i spend most of the time using ipad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom