Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

is bit torrent legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

i am thinking of developing a bit torrent site. Wanted to know if its legal? It will be linking to other sites and not uploading files to My actual server! Would that be legal? or illegal and i should stay away from that type of project? :rolleyes:

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something can be used for legal or illegal reasons but that doesn't make the actual technology illegal. For instance I can use a telephone to call in a bomb threat. Or I could use a car to transport drugs. However, if you knowingly loaned your car or telephone so that someone could make the threatening call or deliver drugs that makes you an accessory.

There are some valid reasons for having torrent seeds if it's in the public domain.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well if i program a bit torrent site which crawls other torrent sites is it ok would you think? E.G. it crawls software / games e.g. doom3 full in torrent format. But all my site does is link it, Not host the actual torrent file!

fini

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
by the looks of things the MPAA's trying its hardest to shut down as many bit torrent sites as possible. I don't know of any that have been ordered to shut down by a judge though... once legal action's threatened most don't want to go through the expense of a trial case.

If it's just crawling other sites I'd think that the MPAA would put your site at a lower priority to others and thus wouldn't worry about in. This is all IMHO ofcause..

fini

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Simply linking to copyright challenged material means you are committing contributory copyright infringement. To host a bittorrent site is perfectly legal however, as long as no copyright infringement is being performed.

However the legality depends on your laws in your country. Some countries have no laws in regards to piracy, or are very lax in their enforcement.

Some countries have ruled that simply sharing files is not illegal, however uploading them is. The fact that you're sharing something doesn't mean anyone has actually downloaded anything (laws that make sense, aren't they wonderful?)

Check with your local law enforcement, and with your provider. Even if it may not be illegal where you are, the provider may shut you down as they may be enforcing international laws.

Of course, even if it's illegal in your area and you rent a server where it is not illegal, you're still guilty because of jurisdiction (sp?).

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please note i am not advertising. But is find.sc legal? I just want to know specifically.Because i don't wish to get in trouble for the site!

I am in the UK and the copyright laws here are pretty Harsh :(

lz83ny

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is illegal to host links to torrents on other sites as well, I think they changed the law recently. That's why suprnova shut down their site.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BitTorrent itself is used for some legal purposes, such as the distribution of open-source software projects, but some uses of it are illegal, like distribution of copies of copyrighted movies. Depending on exactly what you do on your BT-related site, you may or may not be guilty of infringement (direct or contributory), and some of the related issues are still the subject of litigation that might go either way.

lz83ny

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wanted to know if its legal? It will be linking to other sites and not uploading files to My actual server!

He wants to engage in piracy.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Not. No pirecy thanks. I just want to build traffic on my site. The only best thing i could think of for the specific domain i ordered was a bit torrent search engine. I just wanted to know if it was legal. If its not legal i will not bother completing the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom