Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

is domain business still worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falco85

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
just curious to ask to the experts what do they think about the domain speculation business.. does it pay on the long run? Are you making a consistent income from it? Where did you learn how to do it proficiently? Do you think that nowadays still makes sense purchasing various domains, parking them, sit down and watch money flow? I'd like to hear your opinion! :)

Falco

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to time or $ but the bottom line is passion for the business.
If you dont have a solid interest in the business and either time to research and grab great deals or the $ to beat others to the sale then these days your better off doing somthing else.

falco85

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
being a newbie and no great start-up money, but willing to learn and to try.. do you think you can have a success or are you losing your time? should you have a mentor or you can learn by yourself?

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can learn by yourself, but having someone to give you tips here and there is great, like NostraDomainus.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have to have a mix in strategy, develop some domains, park some domains, some are "holds" with no income.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
falco85 said:
being a newbie and no great start-up money, but willing to learn and to try.. do you think you can have a success or are you losing your time? should you have a mentor or you can learn by yourself?

hi falcon

it's still plenty of money for one more!

and i hope you are successful.

having a mentor can save you money, but "choose" that person wisely, don't let them choose you.

however, by "reading" thru the forum, you will find your answers...

good luck!

falco85

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the comments :) I appreciate them... hope to will be able to make my way into this biz!

Falco

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Put it this way, if the domain business wasn't worth it, none of us would still be here...

Its all about finding a nice and efficiently exploiting it.

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also, learning through mistakes are inevitable, but the lesson learned is always remembered.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not having the capital to get into the game "big time" off the bat is frustrating, but I just continue to build up my portfolio. I recall a DCG newsletter where Adam focuses on investing in names which generate a profit. As long as the name can make me $7/yr I am making my money back. Anything more than that I put right back into "the game." Using this strategy I have wasted hundreds, but I have managed to build up a pretty nice portfolio of 250 names and rising. They may not be "premium" names but at the end of the month/year they bring in a profit. Just remember we all can't be like -=DCG=- and step into the game and become the "monopoly guy."

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dvestors said:
yeah when I first started I lost $3,000 b/c of bad choices...but now I look at it as a $3,000 lesson..that was well well worth it. Make sure you research and learn as much as you can before diving in...I didn't join this forum until 3 years after being in the biz, had I found it when I was just starting out I probably would have made some better choices with less monetary loss..:caked:

else..

3k is not even bad, I know that sounds weird, but the way I look at it is like this,

There are people and I mean many people that go to college or trade school and that costs them anywhere from 10k - 200k depending on the career choice, and when they get out of school, they still arent guaranteed a job

The way I also look at it is, when I lost money in the beginning that same money that I "wasted or lost" which was maybe 3500, was way cheaper than going to college and was well more rewarding I feel.

But I also agree with the other comments,

1) you must love the business

2) read and much as you can on this forum and others

3) Learn seo if you are going to develop

4) Don't let anyone pick you (I can make you rich deals)

I think those are the four biggest things that you need to remember

Anyone would like to add please do

falco85

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I have started making a little money with affiliates, adsense and a paid forum posting company I own (that you can see in my signature below :) ), but I want to learn about domain speculation. Any particularly suggested read you got? Thank you again for your support guys this forum is wonderful!

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to time or $ but the bottom line is passion for the business.

There will always be room for new domainers. There are just way to many possible letter or word combinations. Registrar's will never run out of possibilities. Read, work, read, work, and don't sleep, or you might miss out.......:ranger:

happyboy7

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This forum really is a great place to learn! I haven't posted much, kind of lurking in the background!

This is a great forum for providing valuable information! I haven't posted much, just kink of lurking in the background.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I found this forum about a year ago and I can't say enough about how much it has helped me in the domain business.

Everything you need to know is somewhere in this forum, and if it isn't there is a link to it here somewhere too.

Finding a mentor is a great idea, find a person who is at the stage you want to be at. If they have done it, then they can teach you and show you some shortcuts. The hard part might be getting them to mentor you.

Don't worry about making a mistake or losing some money, it is all paying your dues to find out what works. Most successful people have had at least as many failures as successes.

A few brief things I've learned here is .com is always the best if you can get it, names with traffic are always great (as long as they're not trademarks), use overture search tool to find the words/terms people are already searching for, and it's probably best to use combination of parking and developing for the names in your portfolio.

A recent post I had in this forum asked if people here still hand register domain names. I was surprised that a lot of senior/exclusive members still hand reg names on a regular basis, but they do. This business can change so fast and if you are quick on your feet you can use that to your advantage sometimes.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
falco85 said:
just curious to ask to the experts what do they think about the domain speculation business.. does it pay on the long run?
Falco, what a question is this? "Is domain business still worth it?" I mean, the peak has not yet been reached. This is just the beginning! :)

Where did you learn how to do it proficiently?
It is mostly trial and error in combination with asking questions and reading the posts on this forum, I guess.

Do you think that nowadays still makes sense purchasing various domains, parking them, sit down and watch money flow?
It seems like currently people tend to the development of their domains instead of only parking them. However, owners of hundreds and thousands of domain names cannot develop each of their domains, of course. So for them parking will probably always be the best way of monetizing most of their domains, while they might decide to only develop their best domains.

Regarding the purchase of domains with the motivation to earn money through PPC: This effort will become more and more difficult, since the value of domains is going up fast and buyers are recognizing that a domain's value is not only traffic and revenue. It is also branding possibilities, commercial potential, etc. So it is not so easy to acquire domains at 5 years PPC revenue anymore, because sellers want to get at least 10x (or sometimes even 100x). This applies at least for the higher priced .com domains.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
Not having the capital to get into the game "big time" off the bat is frustrating, but I just continue to build up my portfolio. I recall a DCG newsletter where Adam focuses on investing in names which generate a profit. As long as the name can make me $7/yr I am making my money back. Anything more than that I put right back into "the game." Using this strategy I have wasted hundreds, but I have managed to build up a pretty nice portfolio of 250 names and rising. They may not be "premium" names but at the end of the month/year they bring in a profit. Just remember we all can't be like -=DCG=- and step into the game and become the "monopoly guy."

what`s DCG ?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom