Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is Gandi.net a good registrar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwgoh

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to set up a number of websites for me and some friends and their friends etc. Not a huge number but maybe 8-10, so I don't know if this is a good place to ask but I'll try. After bad experiences with some other registrars I'm considering Gandi.net. They seem to be pretty good from what I've heard, not likely to die suddenly or suspend your domain if you do something they don't like.

One thing I don't like is that they have really bad tech support. I've emailed them a couple times to try to ask questions and all I get back are really useless boilerplate answers.

Like, one of my friends whose stuff I might be hosting is an artist who sometimes draws nude or explicit sexual stuff (not that explicit, but not PG-13, and no, not pedophile or fetish crap, just artsy stuff). I asked Gandi if that would be all right and their answer was, uh,

"As owners of the domain name, you are responsible for any and all use of the domain name. Consequently, should the usage of your domain be in violation of our contract or applicable local laws, particularly those of France, with regards to copyright we will be obliged to take all necessary measures to assure that we are in full compliance with the law."

Which doesn't answer my question at all. So I guess I have to research French laws for obscure notes on whether websites are allowed to host nude/sexual drawings?

How about other people, how have your experiences been with Gandi.net? I'd like to know before I sign up with them, unhelpful tech support and all.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer Martin Luther King :lol:

Seriously, never used this before.
If you need a secure registrar use Moniker (for reg domains) and Hostgator for hosting.

And welcome to the forum.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't like is that they have really bad tech support. I've emailed them a couple times to try to ask questions and all I get back are really useless boilerplate answers.
Not a good start ;)
I heard they are OK but they are expensive.
As long as you do legal stuff and nobody complains you should be fine.

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Umm...not very useful answers here....so I have been a customer of gandi, they are okay. Their support has always been decent and their interface is clean. Their TOS is one of the best in the industry.

EGS

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Need awesome support and great competitive pricing? Check out TierraNet - by far the best. 24/7 online live chat support, toll-free number, and fast email support. Their support, features, interface, and pricing together are really top-notch and the best in the industry from what I have experienced.

I used to be all about the big ones: eNom (NameCheap), GoDaddy (ew!), DomainSite, and Name. Now all I use is TierraNet for my domains. Rock solid support, excellent cheap pricing, and the best service and security.

You'd think more expensive competitors could offer more than what TierraNet can offer, but TierraNet beats 'em all by a few knock-out punches!

hostcoin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain registrar are different from domain hosting service provider. Usually hosting service provider have their TOS regarding hosting adult content and it differs from host to host. You need to ask your hosting service provider about the adult content which can be hosted on their servers ;)

pwgoh

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hostcoin: Good point but I wanted to see if the registrar had rules on adult content also. Based on their response I can't tell if they do or not.

As for other options, I heard Moniker, like Gandi.net, has so-so tech support. I'll check out TierraNet.

Last edited:

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Gandi is horrible, is either French or Moroccan registrar, there is lot of complaints throughout the forum. TierraNet is even bigger crap.

hostcoin

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hostcoin: Good point but I wanted to see if the registrar had rules on adult content also. Based on their response I can't tell if they do or not.

As for other options, I heard Moniker, like Gandi.net, has so-so tech support. I'll check out TierraNet.

No, i dont think content hosting has any relation with domain registrar ;) its your webhost who decide about it. I haven't heard about Gandi.net ;)
whatever make sure you go with domain registrar who is into domain business since long time... else just move your domain with some other registrar like Name, Godaddy eNom etc...

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
French or Moroccan registrar.
No homework huh :eek:k:

Gandi was fine few years ago, but the quality of support slowly sinked.
They dont like people who might buy and sell domains on a yearly basis (from a "support" email I received). Unbelievable.

pwgoh

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, i dont think content hosting has any relation with domain registrar ;) its your webhost who decide about it. I haven't heard about Gandi.net ;)

If that's true, it removes the whole issue. Can someone link me to an official source on that, saying that registrars aren't allowed to suspend/cancel domain registrations based on content?

Sorry to sound doubtful, but I want to be certain, because I heard pretty much the opposite before. Like these stories with Godaddy, how they as a registrar sometimes suspend the domains of sites that host content they don't like. The hosting company has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom