Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is GD the only registrar using the 60 day rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This 60 day rule :disappoin on transfers that GD uses seems to be isolated with them. Are there any other registrars doing this? Can a call to anyone at GD help waive this rule to help with a domain sale?

Thanks,
DD

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can push a domain into another account minutes of registering.. if you are having problems selling a domain then ask the buyer to create a free account and then push it to them... then they control the domain during the 60 day wait period..

DaddyHalbucks said:
It is not a GoDaddy rule, it is an ICANN rule.

ALL registrars have to abide by it.

Is Daddy Still a buyer? where have all the buyers gone?

domaindirk

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Did ICANN come up with this rule on their own, or at the request of the registrar(s)? Wonder if domainers would have enough pull to get this rule changed with a grass roots effort?

DD

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In part it I think it's a safety measure for domain owners to prevent names being transferred fraudulently too rapidly, and as such is probably good.

Also helps if there are any charge backs, bounced cheques etc.

Godaddy is different from many though in that they also impose a further 60 day no transfer period following a change of registrant/account.

divaqs

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dotNetKing said:
Godaddy is different from many though in that they also impose a further 60 day no transfer period following a change of registrant/account.

It is incredibly annoying to go and try to transfer a domain, only to discover something like your old email address is listed, and after updating it to make sure transfer emails go to the right email address.... WHAM... 60 day rule! AAAAAAAARGH!

Its gotta to be a ploy to not let people transfer out. I haven't heard of any other registrars having such a policy.

chopos

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think Network Solutions also use this policy.

divaqs said:
It is incredibly annoying to go and try to transfer a domain, only to discover something like your old email address is listed, and after updating it to make sure transfer emails go to the right email address.... WHAM... 60 day rule! AAAAAAAARGH!

Its gotta to be a ploy to not let people transfer out. I haven't heard of any other registrars having such a policy.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GD is the only one that extends this rule to ANY simple change in the whois data!
so, if you 'push' to another account, you cant move it for 60 days.
if you change your phone number, same thing!

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the email address change.. but this is from gd cust support..use at your own risk :undecided

Quote:Dear Jim,

Thank you for contacting customer support. Changing the name servers and phone number for the domain will not start the 60 days. Changing the name, including just the middle initial, or company in the contact information will start the 60 day period.
Please let us know if we can help you in any other way

jim

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another one of the reasons I am currently transferring all my domains to Moniker

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see it incase they receive a chargeback. Most credit card companies only dispute charges back 90 days. By holding the name for 60 this gives them a month to sweat it out incase of a chargeback. Otherwise someone will register tons of names and then transfer them away and GD is out the funds. I do not see why most people transfer their names out just because of this rule. Like Daddy said above, it's an ICANN rule. I am sure Moniker, being ICANN accredited, will abide by this rule sometime in the future.

Big whoop. If you are selling a name, like mentioned above, credit a free godaddy account and transfer the name to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom