Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is gmail.com working ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The last e-mail I received at my gmail account was about 10 hours ago.

I sent two tests, one from my gmail account which arrived ok, and one from a non-gmail account which never arrived.

Is anyone else having problems.

After having problems with my ISP e-mail and with the e-mail from my own domain, I decided that gmail was going to be a reliable choice, but looks like I was wrong :-(

Thanks for any feedback

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Works fine for me. But to be frank, you shouldn't use a free web-based e-mail client as your main account, not to say that it's still under beta. I use Gmail as a back up and archives.

If your ISP or even your own host is not reliable, you should switch to other providers.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming it's working ok for you.

>> If your ISP or even your own host is not reliable, you should switch to other providers.

Thanks for the suggestion nameslave. I guess the problem for me with changing providers is

a) the problem of losing stored e-mails, although that is not too serious,
b) the complexity of shifting 50 plus websites from one reseller account to another and
c) knowing that the new provider is going to be more reliable that the old one.

I'm not actually using the gmail address as an admin e-mail address, but I have started using it as the main account for all domain enquiries and negotiations.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dotNetKing said:
Thanks for the suggestion nameslave. I guess the problem for me with changing providers is

a) the problem of losing stored e-mails, although that is not too serious,
b) the complexity of shifting 50 plus websites from one reseller account to another and
c) knowing that the new provider is going to be more reliable that the old one.
Allow me to try answering your questions:

a) You shouldn't lose any stored e-mails, unless you have been using web-based client only all the time. Once you download messages to your local client (e.g. Outlook), they are on your machine. If you have not done so, I would strongly recommend doing so from now on.

b) There are definitely hosts out there who are more than happy to help migrating websites. Unless you have a lot of dynamic content like forums, and provided that you back up your websites on a regular basis (which you should), you could probably do it yourself fairly easily too.

3) Switching ISP might be more complicated (local connection, etc.), but if your host can't even provide you with reliable e-mail, that's not "reliable" at all. Of course, you need to do some homework yourself. :)

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave, thanks for your further reply.

a) I have been downloading my e-mails to my computer, but I have been using webmail as a backup, as well for those rare times I'm travelling. It would be nice to keep them as webmail, but the world would not end if I couldn't. If I keep the same system (cpanel) it may well be possible to copy the e-mail files across with no problems.

b) Yes, you are quite right, a migration isn't impossible, either with or without provider's help. I guess I just don't fancy it, especially if I have no guarantee as to reliability of a new provider.

c) There are few ISPs here in Peru, and there is no guarantee that a different one will be more reliable.

As far as changing hosting provider is concerned, I've taken out a package with a different company for a different set of web sites. I can always check how reliable the e-mail is (or at least how reliable it is at the moment) and change to them if they seem to be ok.

I'm sure your hosting is very reliable, of course, but quite a bit more expensive. I could use that maybe for just my critical e-mail domain and muddle along with the other hosting providers for my other domains.

Thanks again for your input.

Here's an update on my gmail situation.

I just had a flood of e-mails arrive during the last 15 minutes which seem to be a backlog from the last 15 hours.

Has any body else had this happen, or am I a special case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom