Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is Implicit Query the search of the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

Microsoft aims for search on its own terms
Microsoft is spending billions on R&D and will likely make acquisitions in its quest to create the smartest, fastest search utility (like a power company, not just a helpful tool) in the universe. It's a worthwhile endeavor. Despite prodigious efforts from search leader Google and others, we are still in primitive phase. Of course, Microsoft's goal is to integrate the search capabilities directly into the operating systems and applications as part of the overall Windows utility. You would hope with all the talk about software as a service and interoperability that Microsoft would also make its future search utility available beyond the Windows and .Net environment.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5110910.html

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does this mean we'll be experiencing the first "search" virus soon afterwards? :) I can hear the talk now: "Technologists didn't think it was possible, but today has marked the arrival of the first 'search virus', dubbed 'PeekaBooBoo'. Working off of Microsoft's .NET search application architecture, PeekaBooBoo has ravaged Windows PCs across the Internet. Researchers say it has something to do with the ever troublesome 'blog-bombing' that has plagued Google, but has been taken up a notch. All searches from a Windows machine infected with PeekaBooBoo, all end up with endless results linked to 'HotorNot.com', but the name of the link and descriptions appear normal until visited. The website denies any affiliation with PeekaBooBoo, but the FBI has been called in..." :cheeky:

~ Nexus

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yay!

Go MS!

CoolDot

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Microsoft rules!

.... ewwww that stinks!!!
:))

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Microsoft always says they are researching the best way to do everything.

A senior researcher in the group working on it says, "If the two of us type in a query, we get the same thing back, and that is just brain dead. There is no way an intelligent human being would tell us the same thing about the same topic."

As an intelligent human being I frequently tell lots of people the exact same thing about the same topic. I think they are going to try to bog it down with personalized features tailored to what they think you want, and considering that their products insist upon making annoying text formatting changes I don't want and make it nearly impossible for me to workaround them, I doubt their search responses will be much better.

She also says: "We analyze whatever text you are working on and then pull out words that are important and query on those automatically"

Which is just another way of saying, "We will again add hopeless bloat to our operating system with things running in the background most people never want or ask for and will make it so that only experienced people can turn those resource hogging background tasks off."

This researcher seems to have way more arrogance than common sense. But then she works at Microsoft, so that's redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom