Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is it 'forum' or 'forums'

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawkinrich

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

When you hear of a discussion forum/s, in a domain or anywhere, do you prefer forum or forums?

Like DNForum.com or DNForums.com.

Rich

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forum, the singular.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www.DN "Forum" .com <- they got it right.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer the singular in most cases as well, but the thread topics are also considered "forums" So when doing a large portal type "forum" with various categories, I'd prefer the plural, especially when combined with the singular on the keyword. Example SportForums.com with a number of topic "forums" covering each sport. An internal "forum" thread might then be Football Forum and Baseball Forum etc.

M

mole

'Forum' is definitive. 'Forums' is universal. Depends what's available, what it's intended use is, and what you can afford, imho.

bladex5k

Been Around the Block
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
I prefer the singular in most cases as well, but the thread topics are also considered "forums" So when doing a large portal type "forum" with various categories, I'd prefer the plural, especially when combined with the singular on the keyword. Example SportForums.com with a number of topic "forums" covering each sport. An internal "forum" thread might then be Football Forum and Baseball Forum etc.

Agreed with 100%.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forum.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's a question for you. You guys like forum better, but would you go for a domain with the first half plural? Such as:

domainnamesforum.com, as opposed to ***************s.com?

I think that making the first part plural makes it sound really bad, but some sites do it.

What do you think?

(And sorry to bump an old thread.. hey it's not THAT old lol)

Kase

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you want to talk gramatically correct, then you should choose "Forums". However, "Forum" sounds betters.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kase said:
If you want to talk gramatically correct, then you should choose "Forums". However, "Forum" sounds betters.
They are both gramatically correct, one is plural. Look it up. "Fora" is also plural.

This is a domain "forum", ie: a place to talk about domains.

The website itself contains different categories, called "forums".

If I were going to name a site, it would be forum, not forums, unless you are listing a bunch of different sites that are forums.

Legend.name

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For the standalone domain name, I prefer: KEYWORDforum.com

For the sub directory of the domain name, I prefer: KEYWORD.com/forums

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Forum.

Unless it's a launch pad to other forum sites, although forum serves well for that, too.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
get both if possible.
otherwise forum is best.
I agree though for general categories like 'sports', forums makes more sense since inside you will be dividing it in diferent forums.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The S will get lost no matter where you place it... it ends up people don't think plurally, even when you're talking about a plurality of things. The plural form is much like the hyphenated form... you take it when you can't get the non-plural or non-hyphenated because you really want the name, but it reduces to some degree your natural type-ins and you lose traffic to the non-plural. Do any of you remember the etoy.com / etoys.com story? It's a good example of how an S can bite you in the butt.

Vivvy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom