Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

is it just me - or does this make no sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am attempting to sell two high profile .info domains. The possible buyer just asked me this question via PM:

the way in which they were acquired, was by using a false trademark..

when .info was released,. companies had a few months before the public, to register their trademarked domains. example sony would have the chance to get sony.info before anyone else.

a lot of people used fake trademark numbers to apply for domains, like the ones your selling. in fact the trademark did not exist but they were able to buy the domain. -

example the sunrise period was july-august. the public could not register domains until september. i assume the owner your brokering for does not have a valid trademark for *****.info so he must have use a fake one. at the time it was very easy to enter fake numbers . that is how he could get these domains before anyone else.

the .info registry if it chooses can , delete these domains at any time. so tell the seller if he is serious to email me

is there any truth to this? has it ever happened before?

D

Deleted member 4749

sex.us and many key domains were reserved fraudulently using the method as far as I know. In fact sex.us was registered in Sun Nov 24 16:05:56 GMT 2002 when registry opened on April 24th. Anyhow, you can challenge any registration in court.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Blink said:
Anyhow, you can challenge any registration in court.
Couldn't agree more.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Absolutely the truth GT.. if you are brokering names you really need to research these things or some day you are going to get burnt by people who dont care that you are a nice guy in the middle.
This is an area where we continue to see the middle man/broker getting the heat for fraudulent and unethica lbehaviors by the sellers.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the warning...

but I must add, does this mean that all nice .info names were reg'd illegally? and how does he know the name, which was reg'd on: 13-Jul-2002, was reg'd using bad faith.

I must add, I like to think of myself as in the clear, because all I really do is match the seller with a buyer for his domains. I do not assist in the transfer of funds, so I like to think I am not really responsible for what happens between the buyer and seller after I do my part as a matchmaker...but I also think that wont hold entirely true.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT,

Not all good names were registered by way of trademark rights.

But, you should look at the whois. It will give you the first step of
knowledge.

Look if it says "trademark"

Such as listed below.

Domain Name: SEX.INFO
Created On: 31-Jul-2001 08:42:21 UTC
Last Updated On: 08-Apr-2004 23:09:26 UTC
Expiration Date: 31-Jul-2008 08:42:21 UTC
Trademark Name: SEX
Trademark Date: 2000-01-04
Trademark Country: USA
Trademark Number: 2306348
Sponsoring Registrar: CSL Computer Service Langenbach GmbH dba joker.com
Registrant Name: Hera Ventures
Registrant Organization: Hera Ventures and Investments, Ltd.
Registrant Street1: P.O. Box 309 G.T.
Registrant City: Grand Cayman

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info, going to check now...nope, doesnt say trademark...

if the sale goes through, I will donate some DNF$ to you!!!

I love you actnow, lol....

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,45900,00.html (from 2001)

I am one that believes nothing will ever come of these early .info B***S *** bogus TM registrations BUT .. you never know when it could happen and do you really want to be in the middle of it ?

You can find the majority of names that were discovered to have bogus TM's with a simple google

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
ok, thanks for the warning...

I must add, I like to think of myself as in the clear, because all I really do is match the seller with a buyer for his domains.

That's a broker, whether you touch the money or not. Be careful. I assume you are incorporated as a measure of protecting your personal assetts?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
That's a broker, whether you touch the money or not. Be careful. I assume you are incorporated as a measure of protecting your personal assetts?

Here in BC at least, that is not 100% protection. When a corporation is sued, the director is often sued as well.

And if he was, I think we would see "GT Web, Inc." in his signature :eek:k:

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pm sent...

I'm thinking of walking about of this brokering thing with both my testicles in tact and attached to my body... :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom