Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is it just me or have things slowed down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Is it just me? Am I going mad?

It just seems like domains for sale, domains wanted, Platinum Members section etc are not as frequently posted to as they used to be. Agree? Disagree? Theories?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tigga

It just seems like domains for sale, domains wanted, Platinum Members section etc are not as frequently posted to as they used to be. Agree? Disagree? Theories?

Definitely agree - it used to be impossible to keep up, now its a problem sometimes finding something new to read.
Sales have dropped off in quantity, although there have been a few quality sales.
Where has everyone gone? Other sites? Splitting of interests?
Are we expecting too much?
Even admin seems to keep a low profile (not necessarily bad except when you want them!).

M

mole

Maybe there are too many ghosts/ghouls/gremlins around scaring people :laugh:

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
I've been visiting the "other" site which I'm not even sure why I have to refer to as the "other" site (domainstate.com for anyone who doesn't know) because it's been so slow. Platinum member numbers keep on climbing though. Do we have ghoulish Platinum members - if so, does anyone other than admin or mods know how many Platinum members there are?

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Lets face it, DNF is a Domain Name Disc. Forum, not really a Domain Sales site, at least it isnt yet. We are mostly resellers, selling low to resellers when we do manage to sell, sure you'll get the odd nice one but most sales are tiny, last weeks Auction shows this.

More promotion would need to be done to increase sales.

Mike

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
... Even admin seems to keep a low profile (not necessarily bad except when you want them!).
Corporate cultures differ. As a moderator myself, I choose NOT to be seen everywhere (even though I'm very often logged in and watching ;) ).

... does anyone other than admin or mods know how many Platinum members there are?
There's actually a Forum Stats panel on the right side of the home page where you (and everybody else) can see the breakdown of registered members.

Current Platinum Members: 291

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think things have slowed because people have relized that they cant just sit and watch a Forum for deals and possible sales. Also it seems that these days people want traffic, so perhaps everyone is busy developing.

Mike :)

M

mole

Originally posted by Tippy
Iso perhaps everyone is busy developing.

Developing is the key to success in today's saturated reseller market imho. Sure, good names will always be good names. But over 99% of the names resellers have are just so-so. The fact that .COM has 21,000,000 registered names is a bludy joke - considering that all the sure-win good names saturate at half a million MAX.

I believe reality is biting in really hard with the domain barons. The market is very selective, and reasoned.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

Agree.
With the advent of the "Live auction(s)" and "Paid membership(s)", the expectations of the site transformed from a resource site to one more focused on domain sales.
IMHO.
Domain sales, though they occur, are not meeting these expectations. I think this is one of the reasons for the recent inactivity ... and, IMHO, frustration. Clearly, the paid membership needs to be better informed by management/administration, as well. My two 'sense'.
Take care.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree, but Domain sales between Resellers, I don't think it has hit the general Public yet.

I still see the same people posting Domains for sale, a few new ones too.

Mike

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that (very broadly) there are two deal-flows happening in parallel.

One is resellers buying not-particularly-great domains off each other in the "Under $50" price range, either to fill gaps in their own portfolios or to flip a few days later at a small markup (nothing wrong with this, btw!)

The second is the "big players" (for want of a better term) doing a few $4-figure+ deals amongst themselves.

One problem is that most of the people in the first deal-flow can't bridge the gap into the second deal-flow (lack of resources, etc.) and the people in the second deal-flow pretty much know what everyone else owns, and are not motivated to sell cheap (since their portfolios are stuffed with good-to-great domains).

Thus, a certain feeling of stagnation is gradually setting in, as the people in the lower deal flow attempt to turn over sales more and more quickly to cover renewals and the people in the upper deal flow just glance in from time to time to see if anything new has come up.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tippy
Also it seems that these days people want traffic, so perhaps everyone is busy developing.

Mike :)

Bingo!!! Good time to "build" before summer. I've just finished Algebra.us, and am now going to tackle Protection.biz once and for all.

As far as slow sales I think a lot of money is being dried up with "renewals". I'm renewing my .biz/.us names for multiple years. I think a lot of people are getting ready for the .info/.biz renewal decisions, as well as trying to transfer names from "shoddy" registrars they got stuck with during b2b & LR1/2. That costs money/time/energy.

I think every once in awhile you'll have these "down" times, which is only natural. It's good for many reasons... Time to "mend" the walls that might have been broken down during the "active" periods (hint, hint)!!

I think what will "kickstart" things is if we have new topics to discuss. Big name sales will do the trick. Big Development projects. New ways to make money from your site/domains. ICANN bashing is always good. Coaxing GregR back here to make some off handed, funny commentary would liven the place up. And of course our mutual friendship! What's happening in your life, type stuff. There has to be more than just domains! (hopefully!! :laugh: ). Any investment ideas, tips to help your grass not grow so you don't have to cut it as often type discussions.

p.s I vote this as "Thread of the "Week"--thanks Tigga. Open ended topics will also invite commentary, thus filling the "new thread" area! :laugh:

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Taxes April 15th.. I dont know thats my reasoning..

The US economy is still in the pits, housing remains strong but thats only because interest rates are still hanging at unbelievably low rates 5.5% or so.

Other than that new record job losses every month= more companies being pinched (along with the individuals and families).. It's hard for companies to be spending right now.. Companies and States even Cities cant meet basic budgets..
look at Califorinia..they have to borrow 11 Billion just for short term budgetary needs...

Medical costs are geting out of hand for companies and their workers...I mean realy ouit of hand ..seeing 20-40 % annual increases..

WE have billions to pay for the Iraq war and billions more over the next few years to rebuild Iraq.. of course now that we stole their Oil I suppose that may not be such an issue.. whoops ..did I say steal.. I meant now that we will control all the contracts on the oil that will for ever flow out of the second largest reserve in the world.. :D

I think we are just seeing a trickle down effect of all of this... Until companies can get find solutions for reasonable medical for their employees, cost and quality.

Until this constant "war" nonsense is set aside and until Companies learn how to at least maintain some semblance of profitablity it may be awhile.

My personal opinion is that as soon as Bush is replaced by a president Democrat or Republican that understands economy first, then you will see a resurgance in the economy and that will trickle across the board in everyones lives and their businesses.

When Clinton left office he was paying down the US debt by hundreds of billions every year.. http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/09/27/clinton.surplus/

And here we are just a few years later under Bush getting read to break 6.4 trillion dollar debt ceiling !

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20030404_988.html

"Republicans blame the lingering effects of the 2001 recession and the costs of fighting terrorism for the need to extend the debt limit. Republicans have been trying to avoid a direct vote on raising the debt ceiling because it focuses attention on the huge run-up of federal deficits in the last two years."

This administration has ADDED nearly 1 trillion dollars indebt since Clinton left office .

I think it's pretty clear. ..the domain market is feeling the presures of the US economy like every other business (except those that make missiles, bombs, ) :D

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by izopod
p.s I vote this as "Thread of the "Week"--thanks Tigga. Open ended topics will also invite commentary, thus filling the "new thread" area! :laugh:

I second that! :D
Take care.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes. I would even say things came to a hault.

M

mole

Originally posted by izopod
I think a lot of people are getting ready for the .info/.biz renewal decisions, as well as trying to transfer names from "shoddy" registrars they got stuck with during b2b & LR1/2.

Ain't you a mind-reader, boy :)

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edwin
I think that (very broadly) there are two deal-flows happening in parallel.

One is resellers buying not-particularly-great domains off each other in the "Under $50" price range, either to fill gaps in their own portfolios or to flip a few days later at a small markup (nothing wrong with this, btw!)

The second is the "big players" (for want of a better term) doing a few $4-figure+ deals amongst themselves.

One problem is that most of the people in the first deal-flow can't bridge the gap into the second deal-flow (lack of resources, etc.) and the people in the second deal-flow pretty much know what everyone else owns, and are not motivated to sell cheap (since their portfolios are stuffed with good-to-great domains).

Thus, a certain feeling of stagnation is gradually setting in, as the people in the lower deal flow attempt to turn over sales more and more quickly to cover renewals and the people in the upper deal flow just glance in from time to time to see if anything new has come up.

Nice observation....

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Thanks Izopod and Coolhost! Taken a while to respond because I am now in St Petersburg in Russia for my little sister's wedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom