Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is "link popularity" over-rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainicanicanica

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I'm going over some names in a soon-to-expire list, matching their link popularities on MarketLeap and Alexa (which have way different numbers).

But by an by, I come across a few that have over 1,000 links each.
HOT DAM, I think, but then it occurs to me that maybe some (or most) of these linking sites have very little or no traffic themselves.

In other words, if there's an expiring name with over 1,000 links to its former site, and those 1,000 links are getting no traffic themselves, what the hell good is it!

But since I know that doesn't hold true all the time, I'm wondering HOW you can tell GOOD quality links (by that I mean NUMBERS) from those that are poor, and what number of visitors those GOOD quality links may bring?

Stouch

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You can still get some good traffic numbers off them. I have picked up some adult names in the past but you normally find its pages that people had galleries on or TGP related. Its real trash and VERY hard to use well.

FM9000

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google does factor in the quality of the sites that link to a site. They also factor in the number of links on the page that is linking to a site. The more links there are on a page the less value the link has. Therefore it is possible for 2 links from the same site to have a very different value.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNWiz knows what he's talking about. Also link pop is totally useless if you intend not to develop the site - if there're no site when the next crawl come watch it deteriate it's SE value...

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also I don't know any way of checking the quality of the links automatically so if anyone knows please share. What we want is really a lot of good quality links. ie Link farms may have million of links but their SE value is practically less than zero (if you know what I mean :))

M

mole

If you are real interested in Google and link importance, you need to install the Google toolbar. This is where you get the PageRank indicator that gives you an idea of how important a link is from Google's point of view. Just go to the linking site and it will show up.

I recommend http://www.searchengineforums.com if you are really interested. That's where a lot of experienced SEOs hang out.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNWiz Google does factor in the quality of the sites that link to a site. They also factor in the number of links on the page that is linking to a site. The more links there are on a page the less value the link has. Therefore it is possible for 2 links from the same site to have a very different value.

Thanks for that information. May we also ask you what the estimated optimum number of links would be so as to maximize their effectiveness with Google? For example, would 8 links on the page be more valuable than say 4 links or 12 links?

Let's assume the links are all average in value. How many do you suggest be on a page for maximum effect?

Plus, does it matter if the links are found integrated within the content area text, or on a seperate list of links on the bottom or side of the page?

Also, are text links better than say an image or icon link as far as Google goes?

One last question, does it make any difference if some of the links are to other web-sites you own and may be using the same IP Address? Thanks.

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames
One last question, does it make any difference if some of the links are to other web-sites you own and may be using the same IP Address?

I believe the Google algo does factor links from the same ip address (as in virtual hosting) as a form of back-link spamming. Your questions can probably be best addressed at http://www.searchengineforums.com

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames
Thanks for that information. May we also ask you what the estimated optimum number of links would be so as to maximize their effectiveness with Google? For example, would 8 links on the page be more valuable than say 4 links or 12 links?
There isn't a specific number, but don't fret about it just link as it fits

Let's assume the links are all average in value. How many do you suggest be on a page for maximum effect?

Plus, does it matter if the links are found integrated within the content area text, or on a seperate list of links on the bottom or side of the page?
Not that I know of, but to be on the safe side link where they're near the other keywords or 'related words'

Also, are text links better than say an image or icon link as far as Google goes?
avoid images if you can, don't choke the spider

One last question, does it make any difference if some of the links are to other web-sites you own and may be using the same IP Address? Thanks.
To be on the safe/conservative side, assume it does make a difference. But don't worry too much about it, just link as it fits

MarkyMark

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think that the latest trend to pick up domains with a lot of links to them is basically a scam, just trying to sell you lists and memberships of which you will have little use since the domains wont earn you a lot.

If youre really going to start and host a lot of sites and try to make money out of affiliate programs (adult, gambling, secret reports, gifts, spycameras etc) you will have little use for the random traffic that the domains-with-links-to-them will bring you.

Start fresh! New domains, new sites, clean html code and clean and narrow ideas and target audiences for the sites. Trade links with other sites and submit manually to the five big searchengines, pay for yahoo listing in a category that fits you. Not just any category will do! You will get the right traffic for your affiliate programs and that is the key.

Random traffic was for sale at traffic avenue for a long time in a fair auctioning system and turned out not especially valuable (appr. $0.006 per set of eyeballs).

Of course domains-with-traffic with an adult or gambling theme could be good if youre running that kind of shows, but not just any traffic.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Starting fresh is definitely the best way. However link popularity imo is still a great tool - provided you know how to use it, which isn't hard.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole I believe the Google algo does factor links from the same ip address (as in virtual hosting) as a form of back-link spamming. Your questions can probably be best addressed at http://www.searchengineforums.com

Thanks but in the past I have been there and never really got specific answers on these issues from that web-site, though an excellent forum.

Was hoping DNWiz could answer each issue as Omni said he knows what he talking about on these issues.

For example the question about what is best, 4, 8 or 12 links must have an answer rather than saying 'there is no specific answer' - I am sure there really is an optimum number with Google.

Also regarding IP Addresses. There is a shortage of IP's so many hosting firms use the same IP address for hundreds of different sites by using so called Zone Files to seperate them at the Server. It's hard to imagine the SE's would penalize them for having the same IP, though it is often said they do.

I think link popularity should not taken too seriously in estimating a domain's traffic.

I have picked up domains with a link popularity of 15 that get 20 times the amount of traffic as domains with link popularity values of 1000+. :eek:

You're definitely right about the quality of the links being a factor.

Stouch

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Strangely enough if you use marketleap and put the www in front of the name you get a different result. One of my sites gets 1553 with the www but it gets 1678 without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom