Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Is loss of domain possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NosajiX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am concerned, mostly because I dont understand the system:

Can domains be taken away by law enforcement for their content? I personally own a few domains that are being used by others that utilize a content management system. This means they are able to post content without my reviewing or approving. In a "worst case scenario" where they post content deemed inapropriate can I be held liable, and is my domain at risk as a result?

I appreciate any insight any of you may provide.

:faint2:

Domain summit 2024

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a very complicated question you ask. In a worst case scenario...YES you can be liable. However that's worse case and if you know what you are doing it's not too hard to be within the law.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quick answer is yes.
But it's more likely your hosting would be terminated in case of improper/illegal use. Cancelling/confiscating a domain name is more an extreme measure but it can happen. For example registrars may disable a domain name if they receive a lot of complaints about spamming by the owner.
I have seen at least one business raided by the FBI and I believe the domain was then redirected to the FBI... I believe it was the FBI.
If you offer hosting or lend your domain name you are ultimately responsible as the registrant for their use. If your names are important don't let unknown parties compromise them. Know your customers or choose your friends wisely :charming:

NosajiX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Im glad this topic is getting some response.

Quick answer is yes.
But it's more likely your hosting would be terminated in case of improper/illegal use.

As far as this is concerned, I have a Resellers Account, so I guess it is up to me.

Now for the million dollar question, Is there definitive laws about what can an cant be on a website? If so, are they regional, national, international. Also if these "laws" exist, where might i find them?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb you have to abide by applicable laws depending on your juridiction and of course follow the TOS of your hosting provider (in this case you). As long as you behave you should be OK unless you are unfortunate to live under a repressive regime where online dissent is not tolerated.
What is worrying you ?

NosajiX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, online dissent, that is funny. Actually im just doing some research for a new DN monetization service. Once it goes live, you'll understand.

This topic can apply to any community site though, including good old DNF!

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is Trademark laws, Copyright Laws, State Laws, and Federal Laws. I suggest you read the DMCA. You can read about it on WikiPedia.

A good rule...if it's illegal to do in a print magazine it's illegal to do it on the web. Search Amazon for "internet law" and you will see a slew of books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators