Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is Register.com a Scammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKumar

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I won a domain name in Namejet, and my account was created with register.com, I sold this domain in Godaddy auction but I'm not able to transfer this domain name.

I didn't get any option to push the domain name.

I requested authorization code, I got an email after 5 days saying that you need to phone for security purpose something as we found suspicious activity in your account..

There is no such thing..

I tried to phone, but it puts on wait, and wait time is 25 minutes, can you image cost of phone call if I'm calling from any international country?

I tried using their chat support, but it says unavailable, I tried in the time zone it mentioned but it says no operator available now.

What to do?

I tried contacting Namejet, told my story, Namejet is saying try to contact register.com...

So I would say Register.com is great scammer now..

My reputation with Godaddy auction would also be affected, instead of sacrificing this domain name..

Please let me know if there is any solution.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
register.com is not a scammer

it's domainers who don't understand how each registrar works and it's seems you were getting too far ahead of yourself in the described process.

as in....why try to sell the domain on gd, before you moved there?

had you done that first.......

don't use scam label until you have PROOF!

learn to use search feature on dnf, as there are dozens of threads relating to register.com transfer issues.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Unfortunately Register.com makes it hard for a regular person to get the damn auth code and be done. Once you request the auth code, they will perform some odd 'security checks' and 3-5 days later you get an email that most of the time it asks you to call them on the phone. For no native speakers of English, or for people outside of the US this could be a serious problem. I've described the same problem here.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome to register.com :disappointed:

Their customer retention tactics are irksome.

They are leaving countless messages to our VM about domains that are expiring soon.
But when you want to transfer out, they make it difficult for you. They want you to contact them, only to end up in a queue for 40 minutes.
Seriously ?

Security reasons ?
No way, it has nothing to do with security, it's all about customer retention.
A while back I requested auth codes for two domains, they approved one and denied the other with their usual BS excuse about suspicious activity blah blah :rolleyes:
Your time just isn't valuable to them.

Now, if I see a prerelease domain that is registered at register.com, I look the other way because it's not worth the hassle.

PKumar

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to register.com :disappointed:

Their customer retention tactics are irksome.

They are leaving countless messages to our VM about domains that are expiring soon.
But when you want to transfer out, they make it difficult for you. They want you to contact them, only to end up in a queue for 40 minutes.
Seriously ?

Security reasons ?
No way, it has nothing to do with security, it's all about customer retention.
A while back I requested auth codes for two domains, they approved one and denied the other with their usual BS excuse about suspicious activity blah blah :rolleyes:
Your time just isn't valuable to them.

Now, if I see a prerelease domain that is registered at register.com, I look the other way because it's not worth the hassle.

Exactly!

DomainScoop.Com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not about security at all.
I don't see how a phone call would provide them with reassurance that you are who you say you are.
And to request the auth codes, you have to log in to your account. You are already authenticated.

There is no valid reason for them to drag their feet for 5 days (presumably because they are required to provide auth codes within 5 days per icann rules), then to decline your request arbitrarily.

While scammer is a touchy word that shouldn't be used lightly, I have nothing good to say about them.

jpaik78

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand these types of customer retention tactics due to the damage it does to the registrar's reputation, but unfortunately it is quite common and quite annoying.
BUT I don't think it's fair to say that it's a scam. I doubt that's it's any type of conspiracy to single you out in any way, and who knows, it may truly be part of their security protocol. Either way, it doesn't much matter, it doesn't really solve your problem. One tip .. Make sure you send the complaint in writing (email etc) and in your complaint, document the number of times you've tried to reach them. Tell them if your problem is not resolved right away, you plan to go to consumer watch dog websites (like ripoff report) and let them know all about your experience. I don't have any personal experience with Register, but in general I've found companies to be much more responsive when you do this. James

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom