Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is someone gaming the Godaddy auctions system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of cases now where there is some back and forth bidding on 'expired domain auctions' at Godaddy, then a couple of hours after the auction has ended I get an email that the owner has 'reclaimed the domain name'.

Since the domain had been expired and shut down days (or weeks before), it seems unlikely to me that the owner would 'just remember' to renew the domain immediately after the 10 day auction ended. At best, the owner is coughing up the roughly $300 to get the domain out of redemption.

Could this be some sort of gaming of the system? What I've seen in the auctions doesn't make sense, and when things don't make sense and money is flowing around something is usually going on.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has Halverez resurfaced in a Godaddy bikini?

:humble:

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ha!

A Godaddy bikini and a paper KFC hat!!

For those too young to remember, we used to have a suspicious bidder at Snapnames. When Godaddy Street View was in beta test, the 1st area to go online was the address used by the suspicious bidder. I noticed it was a Kentucky Fried Chicken store, and openly joked that it must be a bored KFC worker bidding from kitchen there. I (and others) emailed Snapnames that the suspicious bidder is using a fake address, and an exec there responded that the bidder 'is very real and has been verified'.

As it turns out, I had exposed a huge scandal.

Has Halverez resurfaced in a Godaddy bikini?

:humble:

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all domains at Godaddy auctions can still be renewed for about $90. For any name that receives heavy bidding, the owner will almost certainly be contacted by domainers trying to buy it directly. Either the owner will make deal with someone, or will simply renew the name for themselves now that they have been alerted to its value.
Are the domains you are talking about going for around $100 or less? In that case, it might seem a bit odd if it happens often enough.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all domains at Godaddy auctions can still be renewed for about $90. For any name that receives heavy bidding, the owner will almost certainly be contacted by domainers trying to buy it directly. Either the owner will make deal with someone, or will simply renew the name for themselves now that they have been alerted to its value.
Are the domains you are talking about going for around $100 or less? In that case, it might seem a bit odd if it happens often enough.

I think the last time I won the domain at about $100, and today I won the domain at $350. It was RefinanceExpert.com.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, another bidder might have offered $300 to the owner to renew it for him. For the $100 name, I would guess the owner received an offer and decided it was worth $90 to keep the name and try to sell for more. I don't watch that closely, but if I saw one of my drops getting bid up to $100, I might have second thoughts about letting it go.<style>.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; z-index: 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}</style>

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom