Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is the google keyword tool ever wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarrall

Minisite Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a developed keyword1keyword2keyword3.net domain. (the .com version is parked by someone else). If I do a google search for keyword1 keyword2 keyword3 without quotes, my site shows up 6th in the results. If I add quotes to the search, my site shows up as number 4.

According to the google keyword tool, if i plug in those three keywords together, i get 110,000 broad match, and 74,000 exact match.

The reason that I ask if the keyword tool is ever wrong, is that I am getting approx. 1 visit per day out of google for those terms, according to google analytics.

Has anyone else experienced this?
If this is in the wrong section, my apologies, i'm still kind of new here.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you are READING it wrong

google results DO NOT equal actual visitors

Jarrall

Minisite Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never expected the numbers from the google keyword tool to equal my site visits. I was just curious as to if the numbers that the tool spits out were ever incorrect. It just seems kind of odd to me that if the particular phrase really and truly has the search volume that the google keyword tool says it does, that my site would experience some type of noticable traffic, especially being one of the first page results. Thank you for answering Biggedon

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you don't use quotes it will bring up the number of pages that have keyword1 keyword2 and keyword3 in it anywhere on the page , if you use quotes it will bring up the number of pages with the exact phrase in it.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never expected the numbers from the google keyword tool to equal my site visits. I was just curious as to if the numbers that the tool spits out were ever incorrect. It just seems kind of odd to me that if the particular phrase really and truly has the search volume that the google keyword tool says it does, that my site would experience some type of noticable traffic, especially being one of the first page results. Thank you for answering Biggedon

you have to take into consideration that even if certain terms show high results, you would have to know in which context or how those terms were used with other words, to make those searches.

for instance, even though "mortgage loan" is highly searched term, most regular people may add a variety of other words in the "phrase search" that may include one or both of those terms.

when you query those keywords tools, they will give you results based on the terms you submit.

they won't give you other info, that you didn't ask for

:)

sids70

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It seems bit surprising to receive such a low number of visit per day from search engine, particularly when you mention that exact kw returns 74000 searches per month and you are ranked on 1st page.

You probably would not get much typein traffic because it is .net domain but you should get organic traffic if you are having first page result in google and that is searched 74000 times a year.

Check your stat counter and figure out exactly what is wrong.

good luck

Sid

Last edited:

Allenz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks !
Sound interesting ............... :)

Warren2

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Google keyword suggestion tool is often very inaccurate, even when using exact match. I have had far better results predicting how much traffic to expect from a phrase using the Google Traffic Estimator:

https://adwords.google.co.uk/select/TrafficEstimatorSandbox

In my experience the following holds pretty true. If you use the google traffic estimator with [keyword1 keyword2 keyword2] around your search phrase and use the price per click recommended by Google you get a pretty good idea of the amount of traffic you can expect for that phrase if you rank around the 2nd 3rd or 4th position in the organic results. I have tested this over lots of sites and sometimes you get more traffic than indicated from the tool and sometimes only a fraction, but on average it gives you a pretty good idea IMO.

Another thing to remember is that your exact position in the Google organic serps has a huge influence on the amount of traffic you can expect to get. I am specifically referring to the massive difference in traffic you can expect to see between being ranked number 1 in the serps or number 2 or 3. Here is some interesting information on this subject:

http://www.seo-blog.com/serps-position-and-clickthroughs.php

and here is a fun tool to play around with to see how a change in your rankings could change your traffic. :)

http://www.seo-blog.com/position-and-clickthrough-tool.php

The data this is based on is pretty old but it is still an interesting read if the subject is new to you.

BTW, I should just add that even if I think the keyword tool is often very inaccurate I agree that 30 visitors per month is a surprisingly small amount of traffic to receive from a keyword phrase with 74,000 searches per month in the exact results.

One last tip. :) Make sure that your meta description is good and is not turning people away from clicking on your result!

Last edited:

Lyonscars

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i'm having the same problem. google's kw tool shows 60,000 searches for my exact keyword which is my domain.

my site is number 4 for when this keyword is searched

but i'm not getting more than 10 uniques a day.

could it be an unattractive search results title? or description of the site?

thanks

the keyword is "windshirt" and the site is www.windshirt.com

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom