Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is the term Realtor a trademark name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krest

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a city+realtor.com domain name and i got an email from realtors.org that i am infringing on their trademark. That the trademark is meant for their members only... Is the term Realtor a trademark? because i have seen other domain investor selling them in the marketplace.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes it is and they do protect their marks

Last edited:

rockitman

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got a letter a few years ago for realtorboxes.com I think it was. I took everything off it and let it expire.

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Realtor is a trademark. "Realty" or "real estate agent" are good generic alternatives to consider.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, Realtor is certainly a TM. That said, the whole real estate business is somewhat like the music / movie entertainment business was a while ago - and still is today - : a dinosaur living in a 1.0 oligopoly world. That latter business reality is a broken model, yet the breakthrough of real estate into a crowdsourced environment (like music & movies have, to an extent, finally become) is still in the making.

Focus on non-TM real-estate property names.

Rob

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Realtor is such a generic term used by many people. I wonder why other real estate companies don't dispute that term.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Realtor is such a generic term used by many people. I wonder why other real estate companies don't dispute that term.

huh?

not understanding, why would other RE companies dispute the term?

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

They shouldn't. Because the rights which come along with being a "REALTOR" are what command virtually all of your value to your prospective customers.

By allowing it to be tossed around like any other word, it cheapens the profession.

It's the "mark of distinction" for a licensed professional in the real estate industry. Just like MD for doctors, CA/CGA/CMA for accountants, etc.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
huh?

not understanding, why would other RE companies dispute the term?

If the public doesn't like that term to be trade marked, can't it just oppose it? If you can't buy or sell a generic house without using the word realtor, then realtor should be made a generic word, not a trademarked word.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats why I Go Generic !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom