Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Is there a way around the 60-day waiting period after transfer?

webd

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought a domain from BuyDomains. It was in the 60-day holding period, because they had registered the domain soon after we searched for it. (I don't know whether there was DNFR or tasting involved, but that's another story.)

At the end of the 60 days they were going to transfer it to us, but they transferred it to an EIG-owned registrar named Annulet instead of directly to us.

I tried transferring it out of Annulet, but the transfer was blocked because of a new 60-day period after the transfer to Annulet.

BuyDomains claims that they transfer domains out of Annulet like that all the time (to GoDaddy, for example), and that no one has any problem transferring out of Annulet before the new 60-day period is over.

GoDaddy's own website says that they don't do that though:

"You must wait 60 days after the initial registration or any previous transfers to initiate a transfer."

ICANN doesn't allow that either, unless the domain is pushed within the same registrar. (It was transferred to a different registrar.)

If I bought a name through one registrar, am I allowed to switch to a different registrar?
Yes. The Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy, applicable to all ICANN-accredited registrars, provides that registered name holders must be able to transfer their domain name registrations between registrars. You must wait 60 days after the initial registration or any previous transfers to initiate a transfer.

I'm trying to figure out whether I am being told the truth by BuyDomains. Does anyone know if there is a way around that 60-day holding period? I have never heard of a way to do that.

Domain summit 2024

webd

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They said that they could move it from Annulet to Enom just a couple of days after they transferred it to Enom, and they successfully did it. How is that possible? I thought ICANN didn't allow it.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Annulet could be affiliated with Enom like Namecheap and some other registrars.

ICANN creates the rules and asks the registrars to enforce them. But if you have connection you can transfer them out anytime.

I have several transactions when the buyer wanted to transfer out of the current registrar but with the right connection I can transfer out even I just bought the name for a couple of days.

dynadot

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

No, there isn't a way around them. As noted, it is an ICANN rule, not a Registrar rule. Though to clarify, it is Registries (Verisign, Donuts, PIR) that enforce the rules, not Registrars. Registrars can't waive them either. You can move domains within the Registrar, since that isn't considered a transfer, but you can't change Registrars.

Regards,
Samuel L Dotson

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators