Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is there an exact science for domain appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0ax_^

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What should I be looking for when registering and looking for domains?

- Internet catchphrases like lol and rofl
- New products like wii
- Single word .coms/.nets/.orgs
- General popular services/names/etc

But, I have some of what I thought were cool domains, like antiphase.net and substrata.org and radium.ws, but apparently these are worth nothing.

So I ask you, why are my domains worth nothing?
They are single words, they mean something, and they are IMO cool.
Does coolness factor determine part of the value of a domain?

You can see my complete domain list here
http://www.dnforum.com/f4/appraisal-several-domains-more-thread-158608.html

c0ax_^

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I'm not looking to sell my domains or make money, its just for fun, I just want to own the domains that are cool.

So keeping in mind that I do not want to make money, are these domains I own cool?
For instance for vhost usage on irc.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
c0ax_^ said:
The thing is, I'm not looking to sell my domains or make money, its just for fun, I just want to own the domains that are cool.

So keeping in mind that I do not want to make money, are these domains I own cool?
For instance for vhost usage on irc.

If you aren't looking to make money...then register domains that make you happy. I don't know what makes you happy so I can't give you instructions...just go here and search until you find something you find interesting:
http://www.domaintools.com/bulk-check/

nrmillions

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you arent trying to make money then why do you care if we think its "cool" or not? Just get whatever sounds good to you. If you want to get names that could be worth something then dont register names that seem cool, just try to stick mainly to .com and make the name as generic as possible and as short as possible and as few words as possible, preferably 1 or 2 words. Also try not to add words that could be replaced by a million other words unless it is a really good word that matches very well. In the name excellenthotelrooms.com, the word excellent in this example could be replaced by a million other words such as free, cheap, my, etc so this name would be worthless even though it might sound cool. The word cheap in that example could be worth a lot because it matches very well and its more generic. Hope this helps.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The exact science is the following:

YOU CAN ALWAYS COME DOWN BUT YOU CAN'T GO UP

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom