Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Is there any come-back from UDRP or other legal avenues after selling a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimxms

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a domain name in a cctld which is an exact match for one of the largest companies in the world. I'd quite possibly imagine that at some point the company will want the domain (especially if they start trading in that country). The name of the company is a common surname (like smith) so may potentially be fightable if it ever did receive legal action from the company in question?!

However, I've just been offered 20x what I paid for the domain from a private individual who wants to run a forum on the site.

Question is:

A) Would I be silly not to sell? Or could I potentially be missing out on a 'motherload' if I were to hand the domain to someone with that surname and just sit on the domain for a year or two?
B) If i do sell, is there any comeback on me after the sale considering I was the original registrar of the domain?

Thanks

jimxms

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So glad I paid to become a Platinum member, when not one single thread I've made since joining has been replied to :uhoh:

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So glad I paid to become a Platinum member, when not one single thread I've made since joining has been replied to :uhoh:

I know, I know why!

You my friend are a budding cybersquatter!

Quote from your thread(s) in the last month

"Just in time to catch a wave of searches for the launch of the 2013 Ford Fiesta ST, I present to you the domain 'fiesta.st".

Do you own Ford motor company or are you just dumb?

also, you are offering .lk, .al, .gt, .ee, .do, .gg domain names...... where the hell is that?

Let me guess the domain in question in this post, the surname, I bet is "Ford."

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Heh, it can suck when you don't get answers. At the same time, it's good no one's forced to do anything for anybody except if they feel like it, some law compels them to, or there's some mutual agreement in place.

Can't answer A. But if by B you mean being held liable after selling a domain name bearing a trademark, that depends on what other legal avenues may address that if ever.

Because it's a ccTLD, check their laws or rules to give you better ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators