Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is this correct? Video Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.ZINE_A

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am having some problems implementing a Video Streaming Model for a website I am currently putting together.

The Way The Site WOrks:-
When a user enters the site and logs in, they will go to the streaming section, where there is a constant stream of videos being played. They will join at any point in the broadcast.

The Current Model:-
The current model consists of a high spec PC at our office location sending out a single stream to a rented video streaming media server, which will re-broadcast the stream to the x-amount of users viewing, through an embedded windows media player on our website. (The website will be on a separate server from the stream.)

The Stats:-
Stream bitrate : 300Kbps
Length of stream : a constant stream encoding 24 hours a day, where users join at any point during the broadcast.
Users viewing for : 3 hours on average
Total Users each month : 10,000 on average
Total Concurrent Users : 1,000 at peak times

bandwidth usage (GB) = (bit rate (GB/hr) * Viewing Length) * Total Viewers/month
(0.135 GB/hr * 3 hours) * 10,000 viewers/month
= 4050 GB per month data transfered

Transfer Limit (Mbps) = bit rate (Mbps) * Total Concurrent Viewers
= 0.3 Mpbs * 1,000 concurrent viewers
= 300 Mbps

The Problems/Issues:-
1. Cost
Implementing something like this with the model above is very costly. Does anyone know of another method for a lower cost, but one that does not negotiate on quality or concurrent users/total users.

2. Model
Is there a better model? Someone originally had suggested we use a co-location facility, whereby we send the stream from a rented server owned by a third party at a co-location centre. The only questions I do have about this are:-
Would I be able to run Windows Media Encoder 9 on it?

If so, if I was going to upload a new video, how could I edit it into the current playlist without disrupting the current transmission.

Could I choose a co-location, without rack space and just use the connection speed that they have access to to host my stream?

3. Any other suggestion/questions/issues
If you have anything that may help, or something you think I have overlooked please feel free to ask or let me know. I welcome all comments as I do not expect to have the best solution first few times round.

Thanks

Upvote 0

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Silver forums are for forum support. You need to upgrade to at least Gold to be able to post this. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom