Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Is this genuine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just received this email, it doesn't look like a scam email but it has an attached file called "winmail1.dat" so that has made me suspicous.

I read up on winmail1.dat file & it seems this is a problem with outlook that it sends this file also when sending attachments or something; but from that I gather they would had to be sending me another attachement in the first place to get that file which I only received that 1 file, no other attachements.

Here is the email:

Subject: Is the domain name businessopportunities.org for sale?

Body:

Hi,

Is the domain name businessopportunities.org for sale?

If so, please let me know the asking price.

Thanks,

XXXXXX

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do ya think?

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix - don't know too much about attachment - i automatically delete them if it is from someone i don't know. but the interest on the DN looks real - what i would do is reply to the interest with your asking price (you may want to tell them that you don't open any attachment due to possible viruses).
hope that helps !

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DO NOT, open an unknown .dat file unless you want to be owned by a virus =)

Maybe he just has a virus clining to his outgoing emails and he doesn't know about it, and is interested in your name. Reply with the price you want!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why would you open an unknown attachment sent by a stranger? I won't even open one sent by my wife if she has not mentioned it to me before hand!

TopNames.com

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I send a lot of emails just like that...worded almost exactly the same...but I have no attachments with mine. Never open an attachment.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get those fairly regularly - there is no reason to open it. Whether or not it is a virus, it is of no interest to you. Just go by the content of the email body and you should be fine.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wolfis.com said:
...don't know too much about attachment - i automatically delete them if it is from someone i don't know........

It really makes little difference if you know the sender or its a stranger. That's because most all the time the sender is now aware they sent you a virus as they did not know it infected all their outgoing new emails. I would never open any attachments if they are from my daughters or even Pres Bush.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

My main question was about the validitity (sp?) of the email, never planned to open the attachemnt heh.... I only open them if it's from someone I know AND I know they are sending it or they mention it in the message & it doesn't sound suss.

I'll reply to them & see how I go! :-D

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Reply with your price and mention the attachment. Tell him he should put the context of the attachment in the body of the reply. If legit, you might find out what it was if and when he responds. Or maybe he didn't know it was there in the first place. Or he's a shit!

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep... emailed him with a price & also told him about the attachment heh

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom